cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will O2 unlock bootloaders ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi. I've got a Sony Xperia Z2 which just asks for a different rom (the one from O2 is full of bloatware and ther unnecessary stuff). I talked to live chat support and asked them about the bootloader and I have been told that unlocking my phone using the code which should arrive within 7 days after filling in the form, will also allow me to unlock the bootloader. They guy even said he preffers Cyanogen Mod (which could be a marketing lie). I have seen a lot of people saying that O2 does not unlock bootloaders, and if that is true I will never get a phone from O2 again. Android is supposed to be opensource. I also own the phone which means they have no right to restrict the features of my device. I do not care about the whole warranty thing, I just want to have a unlocked bootloader. So, I would like to hear from an official...

Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is what I got after my complaint was escalated. 

Q: So are you saying I am stuck with the phone I can not use to full potential for another 18 months?

A: Yes

Great...

This whole thing made me really angry at O2. I would love if there was a way I could get my contract cancelled based on this tongue - I know its not going to happen, but may investigate. I have soaked to this so much time already, may be able to see what can be done to help me... Worst case scenario I will be in the same point I am now. Best case scenario someone will take some interest and help.

PS. If I had loads of money I would pay people on XDA to jail break it, just to make a point tongue

Sorry bout the rant grin

Message 21 of 37

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

This is what I got after my complaint was escalated. 

Q: So are you saying I am stuck with the phone I can not use to full potential for another 18 months?

A: Yes

Yeah.... we know.... I doubt they are gonna move on it. Many have tried in the past and failed hence why the diehards never buy from networks (it's not just O2 either)......

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 22 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable

My SGS2 from O2 had no problems like this and is running CM11 nicely, also hoping for Lollipop update in the future..

Message 23 of 37

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
That's because Samsung don't lock bootloaders (yet)... One of the rare few that don't actually.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 24 of 37

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
That's because Samsung don't lock bootloaders (yet)... One of the rare few that don't actually.....

Will Knox have any future effect on this in future? I ask as I've no idea exactly what it does do...

Message 25 of 37

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
No, not really.
You can still do whatever you wish (Install custom ROM's, change kernel etc but if you interfere with the system it will permanently flag in the hardware and will void warranty.
The purpose of Knox is to provide a secure partition on the phone that is impervious to external attacks from hacking or viruses....

Currently using:
Message 26 of 37

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I presume it's preinstalled on the Note 4 then? It does mention it somewhere in the settings but on the Note 2 it was installed with the update to KK as an app which when I tried to open, it said only for use in the US? There is no app or widget on the Note 4.

Message 27 of 37

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It's had so much bad press I don't know if they are continuing with it tbh. I did read somewhere they were reviewing it's use and inclusion in rom's and it will be pretty much defunct with Lollipop anyway......

Currently using:
Message 28 of 37

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions

Tadaaaa

Message 29 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable
Guessed it might get removed.

Can I post the name of it?