cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will O2 unlock bootloaders ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi. I've got a Sony Xperia Z2 which just asks for a different rom (the one from O2 is full of bloatware and ther unnecessary stuff). I talked to live chat support and asked them about the bootloader and I have been told that unlocking my phone using the code which should arrive within 7 days after filling in the form, will also allow me to unlock the bootloader. They guy even said he preffers Cyanogen Mod (which could be a marketing lie). I have seen a lot of people saying that O2 does not unlock bootloaders, and if that is true I will never get a phone from O2 again. Android is supposed to be opensource. I also own the phone which means they have no right to restrict the features of my device. I do not care about the whole warranty thing, I just want to have a unlocked bootloader. So, I would like to hear from an official...

Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

I doubt you would get anything official here on that. We are not even permitted to talk about rooting or jailbreaking too.

We do have a couple of resident android users who know their stuff

@MI5 is one of them.
Message 2 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable

Really ? Well, I own the phone I have the right to access all of its features (including bootloader). I just don't get it why would they lock it in the first place. Sure, it could be to avoid damage by unexperienced users, but locking the bootloader is stoping you from installing up to date software and customised roms.

Message 3 of 37

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
I'm not official but I have been down this route with O2.
The code that you are having sent is to remove the O2 sim lock, not the bootloader.
O2 flatly refuse to allow the unlocking of the bootloader on any phone that was originally O2 branded, and whilst you can root and flash generic Sony ROM's with a locked bootloader you won't be able to flash any CM ROM's.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 37

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
The moment you unlock the bootloader on a z2 you will loose all drm keys, ota updates, support on pc companion, warranty and in some cases bionz and X-reality.
Luckily you can't do it on O2 z2's and I mean luckily as you really don't want to loose those.
What you want is to debrand using flashtool to any official sony rom, as @MI5 stated, these can be flashed no problem with locked bootloader.
Message 5 of 37

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
The "right to use all of its features" argument has been done to death, general response is "we have the right to reject modified handsets from our network" or some nonsense like that.
Message 6 of 37

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
general response is "we have the right to reject modified handsets from our network" or some nonsense like that.

That was the reason given to me by O2 when I pushed them for a response.......

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am fine with them not permitting modified handsets in their network. I just want to make sure I can modify mine. Have been user of CM for last 3 years on my SGS2 and had no problems and now I am really dissapointed with lack of ability to do the same with my Z2.

With regards to DRM keys - those can be backed up and restored if anyone wants Xperia back in their factory condition.

Also last time I spoke with O2 Guru, they told me that it is not O2 that locks it, but after talking with Sony rep, they also say it is not Sony who locks it.

Please someone find a way to unlock it. Such a great phone stuck with stock kernel...

Message 8 of 37

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
I can assure you it is O2 that requests the bootloader lock.
There is a tool on Sony's website for unlocking bootloaders on non branded phones.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable

In theory if I wanted to take phone to another carrier and use custom rom on it O2 should unlock it then. They could not have an excuse that I will use it on their network. Not 100% sure what the whole problem is with it. Never had any issues with O2 telling me off for custom roms on my previous phones. I think I will try more to get this sorted.

BTW is there any way that it can be unlocked without O2 dealing with it - hardware unlock or something. I know code exists (http://forum.xda-developers.com/xperia-u/general/proof-orange-uk-completely-hopeless-t1675718)

so O2 should be able to let me do it but if they wont I wonder if there is any other way.

Message 10 of 37