cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my phone using data when I'm not using it?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I get txts telling me I have used all my data even when I haven't been using my phone. What am I doing wrong?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144170 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

No problem @Anonymous and hope it helps slight_smile

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 16

KaySquidge
Level 1: Joiner
  • 12 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Also in some of the app settings, ie gmail or outlook, it gives you the option for how often the app should update/sync/push the information. I have set mine to manual and disabled push/auto-sync. That way the app will not be running in the background as much eating away your data while you are not using it. I think some apps give you the option whether to auto-sync over wifi only. 

Personally, I choose to disable my data when not using my phone and have it connected only when I actually need to google something or go on facebook. Everything else I sync/update over wifi. 

Message 12 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

In your app settings you can tell your apps to only update over WiFi/manually update. this will also stop any unexpected data usage, as some app updates could be 30-50Mb at a time, which quickly chews through your data.

Message 13 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's ok if you can afford to increase your allowance!  My data is overwhelmingly being used by GooglePlay, which I am told is necessary for most of the apps on my phone, many of which I don't use but which I dont want to risk disabling.

Message 14 of 16

MI5
  • 144170 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Go into the settings within the Google Play app and tick "Update on Wifi Only"
Disabling apps won't do any permanent damage either. If you get a problem just re-enable it.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 15 of 16

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Never forget that you are in control. The data used is down to your personal settings. One of the small things we can take control of in this life!

Message 16 of 16