cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vodafone blacklisted my IMEI... but I'm an o2 customer

Anonymous
Not applicable

To cut a long story short... Vodafone have blacklisted my IMEI, even though I am not a customer of theirs. I have been with o2 since 2002 and have never had anything to do with Vodafone.

My phone is a Galaxy S5 which I have since December 2014 when I took the current contract out through Carphone Warehouse.

Both o2 and Samsung have confirmed that Vodafone blocked the IMEI, and Samsung showed me confirmation on their system. Vodafone say they couldn't have blocked my phone as I don't have an account with them. o2 say they can't unlock it as it wasn't them that blacklisted it. Vodafone say they can't unlock it as I don't have an account with them. I am stuck in the middle and neither company will help me.

I still have 6 months left on my contract and am trapped paying for a phone I can't use. It appears to me that Vodafone have tried to block one of their customer's phones which was stolen, however they have got the IMEI wrong and blocked mine instead.

Does anyone have any ideas? Both companies are supposed to be looking into, but neither seem very confident of resolving the matter, since apparently this happens incredibly rarely.

Message 1 of 48
47 REPLIES 47

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
What about car phone warehouse? They sold you the phone, and have a relationship with voda, so couldn't you ask them to call? Might add some pressure as cpw can proof the handset was not sold with a voda contract.
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 11 of 48

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
It's still illegal for anyone other than the company (network or insurance) who blocked it to unbar a handset.
Yes, this is a unique situation but no way Samsung will unbar it I'm afraid.

Do you know which piece of legislation that is ?

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 12 of 48

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous Welcome to the community! 

I've not heard of this issue before. Please keep us updated on your progress getting this sorted. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 13 of 48

Anonymous
Not applicable
O2 are supposed to be emailing me confirmation that Vodafone blocked the phone, although I haven't received this yet. Once I have this I can pursue Vodafone further.

Really disappointed with lack of support from O2. They have basically suggested I may be involved in some kind of theft or fraudulent activity. They won't discuss the matter any further until I have been all the way through Vodafone complaint procedure. Already been without a phone for a week and a half, but still have to keep paying my bill anyway.
Message 14 of 48

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
it may well be the case of mistaken identity.
not being privy to how it works, it may well be easy to mis-type an imei number in that they have been asked to block. to them they have not done anything to your phone (intentionally) so it may be why they are denying it.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 15 of 48

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes I agree it was probably an accident, but this sort of thing should not be allowed to happen by accident!

I think I may be getting somewhere slowly Vodafone now say they will unlock it with proof of purchase, which I have now provided them with. Hopeful this may be resolved by tomorrow...
Message 16 of 48

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions
This what really annoys me, Vodafone had no legal right interfering with your phone and yet you must prove to them that it's legally yours !!

And you will never get to know how or why this error occurred.
"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 17 of 48

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Someone with fat fingers and their mind in the clouds. There should be an easier way of sorting this out without being passed between O2, Vodafone and The manufacturer. 

Message 18 of 48

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Yes, there should be - Voda should have fixed their mistake without any hassle at all.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 19 of 48

Anonymous
Not applicable
Vodafone stolen phones department are now saying it was a different department that put the block on (not sure which), so they have had to forward everything to that department for review.

I have told them that their internal procedures are not my concern!
Message 20 of 48