cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Various Issues with HTC desire (updates, web, spam and network connections)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi 

I've got an HTC desire s and got a few problems I'd really like to fix on it. 

1) Sometimes I get this spam message when on the web it gives me option of ok/proceed to continue but can't get out without turning phone off and on again, I can't remember the message but it's like "website says you are due free tesco vouchers" or something like that. I had a look on net to see if I can get a solution and one was to go into apps and delete the running app. I didn't know what one it was so didn't delete anything. My current running apps are:

Settings, Android system, calendar, com.android.syncml.service, google services, htc report agent, HTC sense, media, sound set, my downloads provider, and touch input

I don't want to list "all" apps it's too many but would anyone know how to identify and delete this silly spam message that keeps popping up. I deleted history too.

2) Connecting to web - I used to turn my mobile network on to connect to web but then found the wifi hotspot hoping that would save data allowance but it doesn't seem to be, I am still down on data as if still using it. If I am wanting to go on the net and use a free wifi in the area what should I do to connect up and stay connected until I want to turn it off- mobile hotspot seems to turn off all the time and have to keep connecting it?

If I turn on wifi net doesn't work but hotspot does - I don't even know what network it's connecting to as in my work there is supposed to be wifi but someone says it's password protected.

3) I am trying to download an update for my phone which never seems to download. I didn't want to use my own connection so I guess this is partly dependent on Q2 above.

4) When on the web some sites keep seem to be refreshing I don't know if this is needing an update or what but it's quite annoying when you're down a page and it keeps pulling you back to the top. Again this might be dependent on how out of date my browser is. Is there a way to tell the details of my browser - type and version.

5) This phone is a family member's previous phone and they had an old google account on it. Is it possible to delete this without losing data? I clicked delete account and it says may lose data tied to the account. I don't know what is dependent on this account and how it will affect the phone if I delete it.

If anyone can provide some help on any or all of these topics would be most grateful.

Thanks

Andrew

Message 1 of 2
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144160 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
OK, first off you need to download airpush detector off Play. Your pop up is an airpush ad that is attached to an app you have downloaded.
All wifi is password protected in some form or another. A wifi hotspot at work will be the same as at home where you go into wifi settings and enter the password to connect. Public hotspots are slightly different as you usually have to open your web browser once connected to the hotspot to complete the sign in process.
When you have a connection to a wifi network, just turn off mobile data and it won't get used at all. Just remember to turn it back on when away from wifi.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2
1 REPLY 1

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144160 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
OK, first off you need to download airpush detector off Play. Your pop up is an airpush ad that is attached to an app you have downloaded.
All wifi is password protected in some form or another. A wifi hotspot at work will be the same as at home where you go into wifi settings and enter the password to connect. Public hotspots are slightly different as you usually have to open your web browser once connected to the hotspot to complete the sign in process.
When you have a connection to a wifi network, just turn off mobile data and it won't get used at all. Just remember to turn it back on when away from wifi.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 2