Did you mean: 

Using phone as sat nav

Waynefb
Level 1: Joiner
  • 28 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

I bought a cheap, but up-to-date (ish) chinese phone (Cubot GT95), partly as I wanted more space & RAM to run it as a Sat Nav. It seems like a fairly capable phone.

However, using Google Maps, I get the error message 'No GPS Hardware - Turn-by-turn navigation is only available on devices with GPS Hardware.' slight_frown

How can I get round this?

Is there really something missing that will stop it working as a sat nav? (It can find my location no problem most of the time in other programmes eg weather.) Or is it a google glitch? Or do I need to do some downloading of clever bits of software???

Many many thanks in advance for any help anyone can give. I really want to make sat nav work on this.

Cheers,

Wayne

Message 1 of 41
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
If nothing else happens it would imply that GPS is on.
Nothing happens on mine with it on, it's only if I turn it off it asks me to go to settings to turn it on.
If the app is still saying there's no GPS it must be faulty? 😞
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 34 of 41
40 REPLIES 40

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Does it have A-GPS and GLONASS....?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 41

aldaweb
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Have you turned on GPS in the settings?

Note that GPS depletes the battery rapidly so you need to keep it plugged in to a power adapter if in car.

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 3 of 41

Waynefb
Level 1: Joiner
  • 28 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I'm sorry, I don't know.
Message 4 of 41

Waynefb
  • 28 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I've given permission for apps to have access to my location. That's all I could find.
Message 5 of 41

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23071 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

Go to Settings, then Location Access. If your phone is equipped with GPS you should see a box to tick to turn it on. If you're using it for Sat Nav, make sure you untick it after you're finished, as it will use up your battery very quickly.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 41

Anonymous
Not applicable

According to the listing on Amazon I found, it does have GPS hardware. May be worth trying an alternative mapping app, such as Waze or CoPilot and see if you have any luck with those (note that the free CoPilot won't do navigation, but it should get a GPS fix if the phone supports it).

Message 7 of 41

Waynefb
  • 28 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi folks & thanks for your help so far.

All the spec listings I could find say that it has 'A-GPS', but not GONASS. Is that something I can/should download?

I can't find anything in the settings that mentions GPS, but, the phone easily tracks my location (in Google Maps, Weather forecasts etc) so doesn't that mean that it must have GPS??

In 'location access' it has two headings only: 'access to my location' (with tick box) and 'wifi and mobile network location' (with tick box).

I've seen some apps called gps test or similar - are those the kinds of things that can see the internals of my phone??

Much confused. Crazy

Message 8 of 41

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Your phone will use WiFi and cell data to track your location so doesn't necessarily need GPS for some apps.
If you have GPS as an option (I would think you do have) you should see an option to tick the box to turn it on when you pull down from the top of the screen to access the notification panel.
I asked about GLONASS as I'm not sure if GMaps needs this for TbT or not?

Currently using:
Message 9 of 41

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
According to this http://www.devicespecifications.com/en/model/e4c82dd5 you do have GPS and GLONASS so you should be good to go - You just need to find the GPS switch to turn it on now slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 10 of 41