Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading to a touch-screen phone

queenie
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am considering buying a Samsung Galaxy S3 mini. I currently have a Nokia 3310 with a pay as you go account with o2. Will i have to change the sim card?

Message 1 of 23
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @queenie

One thing to be aware of that has yet to be mentioned is battery life. Please just be aware that whatever phone you decide on the battery will need charging a lot more than your 6300. Most of the battery use tends to be the screen.

As a Samsung stalwart of a number of years I tend to sway towards them but recently through Try The Tech I have opened my eyes to others including Windows Phone and BlackBerry. As you already have a Samsung tablet I would stick with Android and I agree that it would be a great idea to pop into an o2 or CPW store and have a play.

Please let us know what you decide to do. We are here to help 😀

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

@queenie wrote:

I currently have a Nokia 3310 with a pay as you go account with o2.

Honestly? You're still using a 14 year old Nokia 3310?

But yes, you will need a new SIM card for a new phone which you can order online or pickup at a local O2 Store.

Message 2 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

As far as sim card sizes go, it'll fit in the phone as the S3 mini uses the same size card as the Nokia 3310. Depending on how old your current sim card is you may need a new one to use 3G data services, but you'll be able to make phone calls, send texts etc.

On a slight aside, instead of a Samsung Galaxy S3 mini, maybe consider going for the Moto G? It's a better device overall and can be picked up for around the same price (or possibly cheaper) as an S3 mini.

Message 3 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

I would suggest going into the high street stores to have a 'play' with the working demo models too.

As said they take the same sim unless your wanting to have a 4G tariff or depends how long you've been using the sim you currently use.

If so the O2 shop will perform the swapmysim procedure for you.

Takes from a few minutes up to approx 24 hours to settle.
Message 4 of 23

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

Wow, upgrading from a 3310, that's going to take some serious getting used to.

Anything we can help with, don't hesitate to ask. Welcome to the 21st Century slight_smile

Message 5 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi as every one seems to be mocking you, il help you, as your upgrading yes youy will need a new sim a micro sim, you can either get a new one or go to a shop where they can cut to size but can cause sim issues, i think the upgrade your going for is a good one and one that is well needed, I love the fact that Nokia's are built to last and go on and on lol. are you getting a contract handset? if so this will come with a sim or is it pay and go? my advice is to get a new sim card as the one you have will not have any 3g capabilities and you will need this to enjoy the full benifits of your phone such as internet browsing, sending pics, whats app etc. 

any probs give me a shout slight_smile 

Message 6 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree @jonsie

@queenie

As smartphones cry out to be used online and update apps in the background etc I would suggest when choosing a tariff that you pay attention to the data part too. I would suggest a minimum of 1GB.

Enjoy the journey and we're all here to help further when and where required. slight_smile
Message 7 of 23

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

...and rest assured no one is mocking you! We are here to help. Many people have to take the first steps to a smart phone and the important thing is to get a tariff that will suit your needs and allow the phone to be used as intended.

Message 8 of 23

Cleoriff
  • 122795 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@queenie  You just enjoy the journey.

I took the plunge last year, moving from an old Motorola to a Samsung S3.

There were times in the beginning I came close to launching it out of the window LOL

However, the help, support and guidance from the experts on here kept me sane and grounded.

I still class myself as a technophobe....but I amaze myself at how much I have learnt this past year

Take this big step...you wont look back Bouncy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 23

MI5
  • 144141 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
Is there any particular reason why you are upgrading to such a different phone?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 23