cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update failed on S3, now the phones broken :(

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just took delivery of a "refurb'd" galaxy S3, charged it,started playing with it and it asks me to carry out an update. Downloaded update and installed it, now all the phone does is show the samsung logo, then the o2 logo, then android installing, then flicks back to samsung logo ect ect. just in a circle. Tryed hard reset, removing battery ect. Tryed keis but the phone wont even connect to the laptop via usb 😞

Gonna have to return it? Not a good start, especially switching from an iphone lol.

Message 1 of 29
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144186 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Glad to hear you sorted it mate. I don't use Kies for very much at all but it is easier for some people than Odin, however, now you have Odin I would stick with it as it is more reliable. I'd just do a complete phone back up once a week to Kies then if anything should happen that meant you had to wipe the phone and do a reset you can just do a restore of your last back up in Kies and you haven't lost anything. You should get notifications of any updates automatically to the phone which usually work OK, but you can always fall back to Odin if it goes wrong again.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 23 of 29
28 REPLIES 28

Anonymous
Not applicable

MI5 where are you wink

Message 2 of 29

MI5
  • 144186 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
I'm here. Can you define "hard reset" for me please ?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

Phone off, hold down vol. up button,home button,power button. Samsung logo appears and release power button, wee android guy appears and menu thats scrolled by volume buttons and power button. Only done reset/data reset. I seen there was "update from cashe" ect. but not tryed them yet. The phone wont turn off either unless pulling the battery out.As if its stuck in the opening cycle and wont respond to anything?

Message 4 of 29

MI5
  • 144186 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Yep - You've broke it slight_smile
Download Odin from here http://www.android.gs/download-odin-3-07/
and have you any idea if the phone was locked to O2? ie did it boot up with the O2 splash screen (we need this to get the correct firmware for it).

Currently using:
Message 5 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep, o2 splash screen slight_smile  Is the odin similar to keis thing? Or diffrent programmes? android is totally new to me (iphone the last 3 years)  Thanks for your time so far by the way slight_smile

Message 6 of 29

MI5
  • 144186 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Odin is the flash programme for Samsung phones. You need to put your firmware back on as your bootloader has crashed or gotten corrupted.

You need to go here and register for a free account too www.sammobile.com.

Let me know when you're ready and we'll go get the firmware.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

Registered now slight_smile

Message 8 of 29

MI5
  • 144186 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
OK, click the firmware tab and in the search box type i9300o2u Download the top line file in the results that come back. It should be I9300XXEMC2. Save it in the same directory you downloaded Odin to on your PC.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

Through hotfile, the downloads going to take 30ish minutes lol.

Message 10 of 29