cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking a replaced mobile

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I recently had my LG G4 die whilst on a weekend away in Liverpool - took it to the o2 shop [in Liverpool] and they sent it away for repair - it actually came back and was a replacement G4.

As my other G4 was unlocked [going away to the US in 3 weeks and will be using a different sim for the holiday] I thought I'd get this one done.

Followed the My o2 app route and I get a text saying it cant be done - the subsequent email said

I'm sorry, we have not been able to unlatch your device at this time. The reason given is: This is not an O2 device, it will not be possible for us to provide an unlatching code.

Contacted Customer Services via online chat and was eventually told to take it back to the store I got the replacement rom as it was originally purchased from a store.

I've had the replacement since Thursday so I think it should have registered with o2 by now - do I go to my local o2 store and ask them or will they tell me to just contact o2?

Cheers

Alun

Message 1 of 43
42 REPLIES 42

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
No problem slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 31 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable

Another update [sorry!]

OK - emailed CEO but sent it to the old one - but not to worry, a reply came back saying they would investigate...

Today I receive another email stating

I?m sorry, we have not been able to provide you with unlatching code for your device at this time as it has been requested from manufacturer. It will be sent as soon as we receive it, this can take up to 10 working days.

So basically, when I am told that they are escalating the issue - they are just repeating the process, step by step - including asking me for the same info they asked for the first time...

I'm not going to get my handset unlocked in time for my USA trip, am I 😞

Cheers

Alun

Message 32 of 43

MI5
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You never know... We're due a miracle anytime now wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 33 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable

So if I don't get my code in time, my options are...

1) stick with my o2 sim and use data as little as possible - still gonna cost me loads...

or

2) use a site like MobileUnlocked and pay less that £6 [I have a cashback code] and it takes less that 30 minutes to get a code - 100% money back guarantee.

Anyone ever used them?

Cheers

Alun

Message 34 of 43

MI5
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
That may well be your best option short term. Just don't update your phones software until you have the proper code.

Currently using:
Message 35 of 43

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Definitely get it unlocked before you go. Anything to avoid the charges you will incur if you don't..

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 36 of 43

MI5
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
£6 is 1mb of data in USA.

Currently using:
Message 37 of 43

jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Please....anything rather than using o2 data. You will hit the cap before you know it and comeback to a hideous bill. Either go with the 3rd party unlocking or buy a cheap mobile from CPW that is unlocked and take a Three sim.

Message 38 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't worry - I won't be using data from o2 - going with a Three PAYG sim with an all you can eat 30 day package - £25 slight_smile

One question - why do o2 have to contact LG for the unlock code?

Cheers

Alun

Message 39 of 43

MI5
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It's because o2 the don't have your imei the on their database of unlock codes.
They only have it for phones they supply directly.

Currently using:
Message 40 of 43