cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking Phone

Anonymous
Not applicable

Please Help!!

I have moved to Iceland and before I moved I was a pay monthly customer. I paid off my contract and asked my phone to be unlocked so I can use an Icelandic sim whilst abroad. When I inserted the Icelandic sim, it comes up with 'Unlock Sim Pin'. I have read online that this means my phone is not unlocked (even though I had requested it to be)! So I speak to an O2 GURU and he said he has processed it to be unlocked but will take 7 days and I shall recieve a text and confirmation email. I cannot recieve such a text as my phone number is no longer active and I recieved no such email. Does anyone know if the text i'm supposed to recieve will have the unlock pin on it? If so, any suggestions as to how i can recieve it? I have a pay as you go O2 sim which I have activated and topped up just now. The call said the top up was successful however when I tried to ring O2 just now, the call diverts me to top up, saying I have £0 credit!? Is this because I am in Iceland or it takes a while to go through? Please someone help me...I'm pretty sure noone else is in this position but please if someone has any advice I would be so appreciative seeing as O2 are being as helpfull as a rock.

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

GloriaTeasdale wrote:

@viridis, where do I need to enter this?

Just in case viridis can't get back to you immediately, you dial it as you would a phone number.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 22

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
That^
In the dial screen
Message 12 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

[x] Network 0
[] Network subset 0
[] Service provider 0
[] Corporate 0
[] Sim 0

Alright, it's screwed up now after I had typed in something more than 5 times. I typed in the code in January, then I tried the old code again yesterday, the O2 Guru asked me to type in the sim's Puk (just to ensure that it's not that one I'm asked for, he didn't believe that it's for the unlocking again), then he asked me to try the old code etc. Just today I read somewhere that you can only type in 5 times. I wish I had known...

Message 13 of 22

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Yup, it's hard locked to O2.
No one can unlock it.
Message 14 of 22

jonsie
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Seems the only answer then is to sell it on, either eBay or another outlet.

Message 15 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

Strangely, the O2 Guru confirmed that it had been successfully unlocked in January. The device was not supposed to ask for an unlocking code again. I wonder whether now it's re-locked to O2 now that it's hardlocked, or would the unlocking for UK non-O2 networks (that already was in place at some point) still be valid. Now I don't even know whether I can sell it as unlocked or not.

What really annoys me most is that I get sent from O2 to Sony and back, and both claim that this problem is not possible. There must be an unofficial region lock that the support guys are not aware of, or they just deny it. I'm just left on my own with a useless device, expenses and hassle. I loved my Sony, and was sure I would always get another Sony once this one needs replacing, but this is really putting me off now. 😞

On the other hand I've read of a few cases with the same issue, with devices of various makes. I wonder whether OP has had more luck.

Message 16 of 22

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
"Strangely, the O2 Guru confirmed that it had been successfully unlocked in January."

Why would you need them to confirm it, it apparently accepted a t-mobile sim according to your prior posts.
Message 17 of 22

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
There is no region lock on Sony devices. I actually doubt it was ever unlocked in the first place.
I think you have been given the wrong code which has now hardlocked the phone due to too many incorrect attempts.
Did you really test it in the UK with a working T-Mobile sim card or is it possible it was a different network?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 18 of 22

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Having spoken to someone who would pretty much definitely know, the Xperia Z series does not have a region lock, only a network lock which is still active according to your service menu result.
Message 19 of 22

jonsie
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

So it can't possibly have ever been unlocked. Maybe tried it with a Tesco or giffgaff sim?

Message 20 of 22