cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To do factory reset or not?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have Xperia Z1 Contact.  No complaints at all.

Currently waiting to decide whether I will bother to update to Kitkat after o2 release the .757 fix (been reading Sony Xperia Contact forums and am reluctant). I would love to know how many users do such updates without doing a factory reset as have heard various opinions.  Some say do factory reset before and after the upgrade, some say only after, yet with my Galaxy s2 I never did factory reset and all was well.  Am trying to avoid having to reset everything!

If anyone on here can share their preferred way of doing this I would be pleased to hear what is recommended.

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Think of it as spring cleaning and decluttering. All the old files will be deleted and it ensures there is no conflicts with replaced files of same name etc.
Above all else it's good practice and common in the Android world.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
A factory reset is indeed a last resort.

Some don't have issues after updating but some do so the generic solution is to try a hard reset.

It's the owners choice.

If no joy then sometimes contacting the manufacturer support is another resolution.
Message 2 of 7

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

If no joy then sometimes contacting the manufacturer support is another resolution.

1st line support will always tell you to do a reset first.

It's standard practice for any troubleshooting.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:

1st line support will always tell you to do a reset first.

It's standard practice for any troubleshooting.

Thank you but can anyone explain what the thinking is for for doing a reset first?  I could understand it if doing so actually uninstalled Jelly Bean prior to updating to KK but I get the feeling that is not the case. I am just curious as cannot think many users routinely do a factory reset whenever they upgrade as very few people ever mention it. 

Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Lots of users do do a factory reset the ones who don't tend to put up with little things that don't sit right after an upgrade
Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

The process is understood to remove any possible conflicts from the old firmware / settings with the newly downloaded firmware.
Message 6 of 7

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Think of it as spring cleaning and decluttering. All the old files will be deleted and it ensures there is no conflicts with replaced files of same name etc.
Above all else it's good practice and common in the Android world.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 7