cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technical Advice Please re Dual SIM card dual standby

Anonymous
Not applicable

I want to buy a simple (and inexpensive) mobile phone for someone who is even less well-informed that I am.  One that I think, prima facie, would be suitable is a HD 3G Mini S5 which is said to have  "Dual SIM card dual standby".  Although I have Googled this I am none the wiser.  What does it mean in practice?  Will the phone have to have 2 SIM cards inserted, and if that is so would that mean 2 tariffs?  Would there be any appreciable negative impact on normal usage if only 1 SIM is inserted? 

Have I given enough information to establish what size of SIM card(s) would be needed?

Sorry if these are too silly questions.

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Very many thanks again @MI5  - that's another pint (or dram) I owe you!!   Smiley LOL

Not a problem at all @Anonymous Smiley Very Happy

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks @MI5. Re Custom ROM my device is an ex o2 refurbished model that is unlocked but other than that it is standard so should be fine.
Message 12 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
Flippin 'eck @Gerry. If we had to bless @MI5 with a pint or a dram every time he helped us he would be permanently drunk 😀😆😀😆
Message 13 of 22

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
he would be permanently drunk 😀😆😀😆

I am Dance

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 14 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
he would be permanently drunk 😀😆😀😆

I am Dance

I WAS about to add that comment....but you beat me to it....LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 15 of 22

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I said drunk.... not slow wink

Currently using:
Message 16 of 22

jonsie
  • 92910 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
One advantage of a dual sim is that if it's unlocked you can have dual networks too for all round coverage.
Message 17 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
I said drunk.... not slow wink

Oh...I know that...indeed I do....Happy Dance

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 18 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just be careful when you use it because there are people complaining all the time that they were billed wrong because the call "wasn't made from that sim card". So make sure you always check what sim ur using before making any calls, speacially international ones.:smileywink:

Message 19 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for that warning @Anonymous I think I will first about the dual sim model in this particular case. The intended recipient could not be relied upon to take such care.
Message 20 of 22