Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swapping sim cards between iPhone and a Sony

mark245
Level 1: Joiner
  • 21 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have an iPhone 5c and my son has a Xperia M4 Aqua, they both have nano sim cards and are on thr same contract (monthly).

Unfortunately, he doesnt like his Sony so I have offered us to swap phones. Can I just swap the cards over myself and he can start using the iPhone, or do I need to go to O2 shop for them to lock the sim to the specific phone?

Many thanks.

Mark

Message 1 of 35
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Not true,
It goes from refundable to exchange only.
I was told in detail about this a few times as I refresh to newer handsets.
As the "speed up" fee is included as a end contract charge, under normal circumstances there is no issue, but as the charge terminates your old connection contract, there is no way to refund it and pin back on the remaining 7, 8,9 months etc, all they can play with is the new current 24 month plan.
Now they can edit it's tariff and the handset but can't refund it as there's no way to revert back.
So they should point out its an exchange only return policy giving you chance to change to a different phone or tariff within the 14 day period.

Get it back and point out your rights, before that 14 day expires!

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 35
34 REPLIES 34

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

You should be able to do this by swapping the sims over via this process http://swapmysim.o2.co.uk/

Or if it is easier pop into any O2 store and get them to do it for you....A similar thread here

(though different size sims http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Possible-to-swap-2-contracts-between-2-SIMs/m-p/...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 35

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions

They will just swap straight over.

You may need to change your data packages from standard to Idata and vice versa, 

You can do this by calling cs on 202 pay monthly or 4445 payg.

Or logging on to my O2 and changing your data Bolt ons,

Or at a push, live chat may be able to do it, but I'd try the other options first.

Message 3 of 35

mark245
  • 21 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The phones are on the same contract but have different airtimes and data, that is all. If it really is just a case of swapping I can do that at home but if I then need to find the SSN and do something else then I expect that it is safer to go to the O2 shop! (I would not want any problems on a Sunday for example).

The shop refused to change the Sony (brand new, less than 2 weeks old) for another without me paying off the full phone price!

Thanks.

Message 4 of 35

MI5
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Just swap the sim cards phone to phone but as mentioned above you will need to call cs on 202 to get the iPhone sim changed to iData and the Xperia to standard data.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 35

MI5
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Ps. You had 14 days to change your mind.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 35

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Actually I think @viridis reply is correct about swapping straight over as  the sims are the same size. Issue is you are changing between a Sony and iPhone.... Also do you want to keep the number you were given initially?

I have to say if it was me I would go to the O2 shop and let them do it. Lots of variables to consider.. wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 35

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You will also have to change the phone number in the iphone settings and depending how old your son is you might want to remove the phone from your own Apple account and let him open his own iTunes account.

Message 8 of 35

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Having said all that ....forget my input and listen to @MI5 and @viridis LOL

Edit and @jonsie ......Cheers

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 35

mark245
Level 1: Joiner
  • 21 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

No , they didnt allow it because it was an early upgrade!

Message 10 of 35