cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sony Xperia Z1 Wifi troubles (v. 14.4.A.0.157)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yesterday I received a notification telling me that my Z1 had an update ready (this came as a surprise, considering I though Sony had dropped updates for this particular model), needless to say I updated my phone there and then, although I did do a little bit of research into the update to see what it included. (Hint: Not much.)

Since the update I've been have consistent trouble with my Wifi connection:

1. Wifi turns off when the screen is off, despite my Wifi settings being set otherwise (i.e. Wifi always on).
  2. Wifi shuts down randomly when connected - often at night, so I don't catch it - and subsequently drains my Data.

I can't tell if there are other issues as yet, since this is the only one I have noticed thus far. These problems started the moment I updated, and none of my other app settings (such as Juice Defender Plus) have changed, so I see no reason why they would be a contributory factor.

Has anybody else been having similar issues at all?

Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Because apps are weird sometimes.
It Definitely sounds like something is cutting wifi for power saving (even tho the mobile data will use more)

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

Our community member @viridis is the Xperia expert. I've alerted him, so when he comes online he can hopefully give you some helpful advice. slight_smile

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 14

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Go into stamina mode settings and turn off extended stamina.
Message 3 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
One generic help tip is to perform a hard reset after a firmware update which can cure glitches by clearing out old files.

Make a back up first to preserve saved data.
Message 4 of 14

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122821 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Thanks for that post @viridis As the Sony expert here your advice is much appreciated ...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 14

MI5
  • 144175 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
In addition to viridis advice I would also look at your JD profile and see what control it has over the wifi settings.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

@viridis Thank you for your quick response. I have double-checked just to be sure, and I do not have Stamina mode activated (and never have done).

@MI5 I have gone into JD+ and deactivated it's control over my Wifi for the time being, to see if that helps. However, that doesn't explain why it might disconnect Wifi when I am currently connected to a network.

Message 7 of 14

MI5
  • 144175 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
No you're right, it shouldn't just drop out for no reason unless it thinks the wifi connection isn't good enough.
Maybe try forgetting it and reconnecting if it continues to drop out like that.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 14

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Because apps are weird sometimes.
It Definitely sounds like something is cutting wifi for power saving (even tho the mobile data will use more)
Message 9 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I left it for a couple of days and it seems to have sorted itself out. I suspect JD+ might have been the cause of the issue, so I shall leave it under my current settings from now on.

Message 10 of 14