cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up outgoing mail on Android device using O2 SMTP server

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hope somebody can help me, my main email account is a Karoo one, I have set this up to receive incoming mail with no problems.

However I have never been able to set up outgoing mail, I have followed what appears to be the general advice on the internet which is to set the outgoing settings as follows:

SMTP server:   smtp.o2.co.uk

Port:                    25

Security type:  None

Require sign-in:  ticked

Username: My O2 username

Password: My O2 password

When I click 'Done' it comes up with a box displaying 'Checking outgoing server settings' for a few seconds and then comes back with the following:

"! Could not finish

The server does not support the authentication methods"  with an option to 'Edit details' which when clicked takes me back to the outgoing settings and I note that it always changes the Port back to 587.

Any help gratefully accepted!!

Message 1 of 23
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hope this helps.

smtp.o2.co.uk going through Karoo most likley will fail as most ISP do not allow relay this is to protect from spam mail sent from their servers and then getting black listed.(The fact you are trying to send xxxxx@o2.co.uk mail address through Karoo server is a no go). At work our exchange server is configured not to allow mail relay only addresses with company domain can send through it. The easyest way arround it is get a domain name hosted with a hosting company that provides SMTPAUTH (Secure SMTP). With that you can send your o2 mail but using their SMTP servers which you will have to log into with details they provide. One that comes to mind is namesco.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
I've never used O2's server (always use my email providers) and I'm not even sure if it's still running now.
There's a lot of confusion over O2's email and the migration to Sky.
Meanwhile I'd try Karoo's settings:
The SMTP server is smtp.karoo.co.uk.
The Security type is None.
The Port is 25.
Untick Require sign-in.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info, certainly explains why I was getting nowhere with the O2 server address!

Message 3 of 23

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Let us know if it helps at all.......?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

Tried the Karoo settings but it cam up with the following:

!Could not finish

Cannot connect to server 554 smtpout.kcom.com

I seem to remember reading that Karoo outgoing (unless connected via wifi) had to be set up to go through the service providers server; so if the O2 smtp server is no longer running this would appear to be an unsolveable problem?

Unless I sign up with someon elses email and use their server to send Karoo mail - would that even work?

Has anybody ever set up Karoo to send outgoing on an Android device successfully?

Message 5 of 23

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
I've never heard of Karoo until you mentioned them....
Help here http://www.kc.co.uk/help-and-support/article/how-do-i-setup-email-on-an-android-device
You can always set up your gmail account to handle your Karoo mail and use google's smtp relay to send.
https://support.google.com/mail/answer/56283?hl=en

Currently using:
Message 6 of 23

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

I too have never heard of Karoo mail. http://www.kc.co.uk/help-and-support/article/how-do-i-setup-email-on-an-android-device

If that link doesn't help I would just set it up online and to forward mail to any other email account such as gmail although that won't give you access to all subfolders.

EDIT sorry, same link:smileysad:

Message 7 of 23

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

I'm surprised both of you have never heard of Karoo....ISP for the Hull area (was known as Kingston) and the sole supplier of telecommunications in the area.

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 8 of 23

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@Beenherebefore wrote:

I'm surprised both of you have never heard of Karoo....ISP for the Hull area (was known as Kingston) and the sole supplier of telecommunications in the area.

Must admit I have never heard of Karoo either? Is it used anywhere other than the Hull area?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 23

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

Karoo are part of the Kcom Group who are a telecoms provider across the UK but they have (AFAIK) a monopoly within the Hull area.

Because their cabling from the exchange is of a different spec to BT's not many other providers have bothered with LLU although Karoo must operate within the same legislation as BT and offer wholesale services.

Google it for the full SP

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 10 of 23