cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung S5 Lollipop update

Anonymous
Not applicable

So, I receieved the new lollipop update but am hearing stories of battery drain and apps not working, and am now unsure as to whether to bother updating as right now the phone is working nicely.

What's the general concensus?  Is it worth the risk and should I take the plunge?  Is the update as bad as people are saying?

Thanks,

D

Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23038 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3668 Solutions

The Lollipop update for the S5 is relatively new, so to err on the cautious side, I'd say wait a while before updating, particularly as your phone is working well at the moment. Personally, I'd let them iron the kinks out before updating, but ultimately it comes down to your choice. 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

My colleague has just download Lollipop and wishes he hadn't.

I haven't seen it personally so can't give my opinion

Message 2 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Some like to be early adopters ie Download and test it out.

And others prefer to hold back until any bugs have been ironed out.

Your choice.
Message 3 of 12

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23038 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3668 Solutions

The Lollipop update for the S5 is relatively new, so to err on the cautious side, I'd say wait a while before updating, particularly as your phone is working well at the moment. Personally, I'd let them iron the kinks out before updating, but ultimately it comes down to your choice. 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144083 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Have a read through the other thread we have running here http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Android-Devices-Samsung-HTC-Sony/Lollipop-for-S5-now-live/m-p/839229#U8...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a samsung galaxy s5 and have updated to lollipop - I wish I hadn't.

My battery needs charging twice a day now.

It won't stay connected to any WIFI - even my home one.

It is very slow at doing anything

It also gets very very hot just doing something like sending a text.

None of this seems right. I was not like this before the update. Is there anything I can do? o2 don't want to seem to know!

Message 6 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you tried a soft reset of the phone? Did you do one after installing the update?

Message 7 of 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144083 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
I'd go straight to a hard reset but back up first.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Done the hard reset as per advise I was given on the other thread

Not seeing much change in battery life as yet - still poor, got advised to leave it a couple of days to settle, but can't see that happening

For the wifi issue - turn off fast switching

Lollipop is different on each device its deployed on due to the tailoring that some manufacturers place on it, so its probably great on a Nexus 5, but it aint so on the Galaxy S5, those without a functioning S5 are propbably not seeing what those of us who do are suffering with.

Would love pure Lollipop or a Cyanogen version, but so far trying to stay in warranty and also not sure about links to my Neo watch

Message 9 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

My daughter updated her s5 my son didnt she now has texting issues some times texts "sent" take hours to really go text arrive at random battery life poor told to wait for bug fix

Message 10 of 12