cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S5 update - 27/08/2014

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey guys

I had a software update last night for my Samsung Galaxy S5 just before I went to bed (27/08/2014)

This morning when I woke up and started texting I noticed I was double spacing

I was using my phone the same way I always do and after noticing it I looked into it

And basically the software update has messed around with the keyboard and the automatic spacing

Really annoying!!! Sad that something so small has really wound me up, I know, but the reason I preferred Samsung was because it just worked so well for me and never changed

I use the setting where you have the option to draw on your keyboard to write words, and if you make a spelling mistake or draw on the wrong letter, sometimes it gives you three words that are similar to what you were probably trying to spell, so you select that word and carry on. I loved that. I have big fingers so mistakes are always made

However, since the update I now have to write out the word correctly without mistakes. If I draw on the wrong letter or spell it by accident then take my finger off the keyboard, it accepts my word without giving me alternative words and then chucks in an automatic space. SO ANNOYING!!!

I then have to delete the word letter by letter then type it out, meaning there is literally no point in drawing on the keyboard which was a feature I loved!

I know it's sad that I'm complaining about this and I know I'm being lazy and should just move on with the update but I just don't want to. I love the Samsung for the camera and it's ease of use, but now it's changing little things after every update and I'm now reluctant to update it because it's obviously going to change something that I find easy to use

Anyway, can anyone help me get my phone to the previous software update? Or does anyone know a way round this?

Thanks in advance for anyone's help! 🙂

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You could try swiftkey or swype (from Play store) but there's no guarantees that they wouldn't change stuff around in updates either......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

It's sometimes suggested that a hard reset is carried out after a firmware update to get rid of old files etc.

This can cure glitches too but please make a back up first to save any data stored in the phones memory.
Message 2 of 9

MI5
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Go into settings and then language and input.
Find your default keyboard and click the cog to the right and it will take you to the individual keyboard settings when you can change items such as automatically inserting a space and word prediction/correction.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 9

MI5
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You might also need to reboot the phone after changing the settings for them to apply.....

Currently using:
Message 4 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unforuntately it's not the settings that has changed, it's what the settings actually do that has changed

What I have ticked now was ticked before the update

So it looks like the setting themselves have been tweaked, not whether they've been unchecked or not

It is a real pain man - haha but thanks for your help 🙂

Message 5 of 9

MI5
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Who knows what or why they tweak these things....?
I'm sure it's something that you will get used to over time though 😞

Currently using:
Message 6 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's what I was wondering, I've noticed this on the last couple of software updates, they're tweaking little things that seem unnecessary to tweak as there is very little wrong with the way the S5 works in my opinion

Ah well, looks like you're right and I will just have to get used to it until the next update where it changes again haha

Thanks again for your replies!

Message 7 of 9

MI5
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You could try swiftkey or swype (from Play store) but there's no guarantees that they wouldn't change stuff around in updates either......

Currently using:
Message 8 of 9

nevzy31
Level 4: Observant
  • 98 Posts
  • 27 Topics
  • 2 Solutions
Swift key is amazing I use it it's stunning
Message 9 of 9