cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S4 battery has swollen/expanded, what to do?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there.

I'm on 02 refresh with a SG S4 however I barely use it as I got a new phone (an iPhone) on another 02 contract and have been waiting until I can afford to pay the S4 contract off. The 2 year contract ends in November of this year. I didn't take out insurance or anything.

Earlier I decided to take the S4 out of my drawer as I was thinking about selling it, and to my surprise it was broken. Half the screen has peeled off and is lose, the home button has completely detached itself and there was this large raised bumpy section on the back. I took the back off and could clearly see that the battery has some how swollen/expanded. I think the last time I even turned it on was before Christmas. It's barely been used for nearly a year, just turned on occassionaly to look for things saved on it, used as a back up phone and when I've been travelling.

What can I do about this? I don't even want the phone, I was going to sell it and pay the rest of my contract off. Should I just take it into my local 02 store? What could happen about my contract?

I know the battery swelling has been a known issue, however. 

Thank you.

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
As others have said it's a known issue with this model of phone, if you want to sell it then send directly to samsung under the warranty, they'll repair then it'll be upto you on the next move.

Also take photos & time/dates stamp of the condition of the phone before you sent it off
Message 11 of 21

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
If the phone has been damaged to the point you describe and it is only down to the battery then Samsung will just replace the phone.
You have been given the correct advice already so I'm not sure what you mean by "see what my options are"?
O2 will send it to their repairers that are less than reliable and will probably blame it on water damage which will leave you without anything to sell to cover your 2nd contract costs.
Just contact Samsung and when they send it you back either repaired or replaced (assuming no user intervention caused the fault), sell it immediately and use the money to end your contract - it really is a simple as that.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Regarding my options with 02 I meant with my contract not the phone itself. Will I still have to carry it on/pay it off even though it's damaged, will they replace it etc.

I presume they'll just leave it to Samsung to sort and say that they can only offer it to be repaired.

They'll more than

Message 13 of 21

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You have 2 options with o2.
Pay it off or leave it running......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 14 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
You will still have to pay, you won't be able to cancel it without termination fees if that's what you mean.

They won't replace as it is well out of the cooling off period, they will send it off to be repaired by anova their repairers
Message 15 of 21

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
You will still have to pay, you won't be able to cancel it without termination fees if that's what you mean.

They won't replace as it is well out of the cooling off period, they will send it off to be repaired by anova their repairers

All of which is pretty much what I said in my first post this morning....:smileysad:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hopefully the op will take on board all this advice & go for the right option
Message 17 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
So would I have to take it to a Samsung repair place myself? The nearest one is quite far away and with work that's not going to be easy.

Or should I ring Samsung first?

Message 18 of 21

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
So would I have to take it to a Samsung repair place myself? The nearest one is quite far away and with work that's not going to be easy.

Or should I ring Samsung first?

Ring them first. See what they suggest. They may a have trusted third party repairer near to where you live...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 19 of 21

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Or if they don't they will either send you a prepaid jiffy bag or send a courier to collect it from you.

Currently using:
Message 20 of 21