cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S4 battery has swollen/expanded, what to do?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there.

I'm on 02 refresh with a SG S4 however I barely use it as I got a new phone (an iPhone) on another 02 contract and have been waiting until I can afford to pay the S4 contract off. The 2 year contract ends in November of this year. I didn't take out insurance or anything.

Earlier I decided to take the S4 out of my drawer as I was thinking about selling it, and to my surprise it was broken. Half the screen has peeled off and is lose, the home button has completely detached itself and there was this large raised bumpy section on the back. I took the back off and could clearly see that the battery has some how swollen/expanded. I think the last time I even turned it on was before Christmas. It's barely been used for nearly a year, just turned on occassionaly to look for things saved on it, used as a back up phone and when I've been travelling.

What can I do about this? I don't even want the phone, I was going to sell it and pay the rest of my contract off. Should I just take it into my local 02 store? What could happen about my contract?

I know the battery swelling has been a known issue, however. 

Thank you.

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122795 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous 

Not good news re the S4. If you are looking to sell it then you obviously need to get it repaired. Samsung do provide a 2 year warranty on all their devices. Your best bet is to get in touch with Samsung directly and let them do the repair. The bulging battery issue is well known as you say. The second link gives you the location of Samsung repair centres near to you..

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/category/mobile/mobiledevice/smartphone/

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/servicelocation/

With regard to your contract on the S4, until you pay it off  it will remain in place so obviously repairing and selling the S4 will help towards this..

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 21

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6958 Solutions

I would definitely bypass O2 and deal with Samsung themselves as it's obviously a known issue. Your contract will just carry on till such time as you pay off the handset and give notice for the airtime. It sounds like the phone should be replaced but that would be down to Samsung after inspection.

Message 3 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok, thanks for the advice. However I'm not keen on having to keep on paying for this phone that obviously has broken and isn't my fault. I'm lucky that it didn't do more damage to my phone or even my desk if it overheated more or something. I don't think I should have to pay for it to get repaired especially when I don't even want it anymore, just to resell it.

I'm going to go to an O2 store and see what they say first and go from there.

slight_smile
Message 4 of 21

Cleoriff
  • 122795 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Ok, thanks for the advice. However I'm not keen on having to keep on paying for this phone that obviously has broken and isn't my fault. I'm lucky that it didn't do more damage to my phone or even my desk if it overheated more or something. I don't think I should have to pay for it to get repaired especially when I don't even want it anymore, just to resell it.

I'm going to go to an O2 store and see what they say first and go from there.

slight_smile

Hi @Anonymous  You WONT have to pay if you get it back to Samsung....it is still within its 2 year warranty. You will have to pay if you take it back to O2 and use their repairers. It isnt an O2 problem Its a fault with a Samsung phone. An issue known to Samsung...and hence the reason it will be dealt with more quickly and without cost

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok that's fair enough. I'll still go into the store and see what my options are, if all else fails then I will probably have to deal with Samsung directly myself.

It's just frustrating how I don't even want the phone anymore! Typical really.
Message 6 of 21

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6958 Solutions

O2 will probably send it to Samsung anyway given the condition you describe.

Message 7 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Probably. I'm more concerned about my contract, I just want to pay it off but as the phone has broke I'm not sure where I stand with that.
Message 8 of 21

Cleoriff
  • 122795 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Probably. I'm more concerned about my contract, I just want to pay it off but as the phone has broke I'm not sure where I stand with that.

Which is why, getting it back to Samsung whilst it is still under warranty is your very best bet.... they will repair it hopefully and it will be sent back in working condition.... allowing you to sell it on

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 21

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6958 Solutions

I would get the phone looked at first before thinking about paying it off.

Message 10 of 21