cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S4 - Security Policy Update fails

Anonymous
Not applicable

Today I have a notification on my Galaxy S4 that there is a Security Policy Update available. It's from Samsung and designed to make their Android devices more secure. However, after accepting the data policy, it consitently fails with the error "Update failed due to network issues".

This is on the same wifi network that downloads email and browses the web perfectly fine. There is no update available via Samsung Kies.

There are similar posts on the Vodafone forums and there are unverified claims that Samsung have released the update notification without releasing the update itself.

Does anyone know the facts about the cause or solution to this problem?

Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38

Anonymous
Not applicable

Meh, I don't think it's Whatsapp, I uninstalled the thing and still the update won't, er, update. This is pretty poor from Samsung. It doesn't keep me awake at night but it is really sloppy.

Message 11 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have the same issue...tried uninstalling Whatsapp but still no luck. Still says connecting to servers and then says update failed due to network issues. Anyone got any other ideas?
Message 12 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok,

guys,

this is not a problem with whatsapp and neither is it a virus,

Samsung have long been trying to catch up to blackberry (only in this particular thing, dont get me wrong) for the corporate business policy and security which bes enforces,

so that offices can give out s4s to their staff as office phones and be able to lock them down, samsung is bringing out a platform called Knox with which office admins will be able to control hundreds of office samsungs.

this is affecting all users in uk right now, as carriers havent been properly notified by samsung about Knox,

this may take some time to resolve, but in the short term, disabling and force stopping both the security policy update app and SAMSUNG LINK, seems to do the trick

good luck

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/mobile/solution/security/samsung-knox

Message 13 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

In the meantime then, are we ok to just leave the little shield logo in the top left hand corner or is this going to be a drain on our battery/data? 

I can't really be arsed to go through the whole force stopping process simply because I suspect that Samsung and/or the carriers will eventually discover a method of successfully communicating with each other and the update will actually work. At that time, I will want to run the bloody thing and move on with my life!

Of course then there will be Jelly Bean 4.3 in October which has the potential for more headaches.....and not forgetting when Samsung actually hard launch Knox! I think I might just give up now!!!

Message 14 of 39

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144286 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
You'd be safe to just ignore it for now. It won't do anything unless you ask it to.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 15 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well that is reassuring. If nothing else, it's brought a whole load of new people to the forum, including me!

Every cloud, eh.....

Message 16 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi guys have just done a full reset of my gs4 and it HAS got rid of the stupid update thing but now when i click on the check for updates in the setting is comes up with a box saying "REGISTERING" then comes up with update failed!!! anyone else having this after updating or restoring???

Message 17 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah it's all to do with this knox thing, after the latest firmware update earlier this month I had issues with knox security pop ups after I re-rooted my phone, the phone wouldn't function correctly, wifi wouldn't work etc...

Chainfire over on XDA forums updated his cf-auto root package to overcome the problem, then once rooted with the latest cf auto-root you can delete the knox apps from your system so they are completely gone.

In the past couple of days me and my wife (unrooted) have been seeing these new security notifications pop up, you can force stop the app but it pops up again, I've now frozen the security pop up app on my phone with titanium backup, hasn't appeared since.

I guess this post is not helpful to those that like to stay un-rooted.

As for the people that choose to stay unrooted I wouldn't worry too much about the security notifications just yet, if you plan to modify your phone in future you may want to try and avoid the notification, thankfully it's not working at the moment but when it does be careful.

Message 18 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

Music2011master

Not really sure what's happened to your phone but I can only suggest manually flashing your software with odin if you continue to have this problem.

Message 19 of 39

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144286 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi guys have just done a full reset of my gs4 and it HAS got rid of the stupid update thing but now when i click on the check for updates in the setting is comes up with a box saying "REGISTERING" then comes up with update failed!!! anyone else having this after updating or restoring???

There are no updates available....

It's saying failed because it's looking for the Knox update which doesn't yet exist.....

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 20 of 39