cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S3 will only charge from mains & laptop

Anonymous
Not applicable

I really hope someone can help me with this it's so frustrating!

My S3 has all genuine parts with regards to charging. My phone will only charge when connected to the mains or via the cable using my laptop. I have a genuine Samsung spare battery and a genuine Samsung charger and cable. I got so fed up with buying cheap imitations that in the end I bought the real thing which didn't cost that much anyway.

My problem is that my phone won't charge in the car and with a new power bank I have just bought. The car charger plugs in to the cigarette socket in the car and is of course a genuine Samsung one. Other phones charge with the charger just not my S3! With the power bank, it charges all of my other devices including my daughters Samsung tablet, my old HTC and my Kindle. Has anyone else experienced this? I have no idea what to do I really don't see how it can be an issue with my chargers so it must be my phone, could it be a software issue? Someone please help me!! Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

This seems to be aproblem for many with the S3. It tends to point to a phone issue in all honesty.

If the phone is still under warranty it might be worth getting Samsung to have a look at it. I wouldn't recommend O2 repairers for an issue like this.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Check how many pins in the chargers... From memory the S3 will only charge with 5 pin chargers, not 4 pin ones... (or maybe it's 4 not 3, it's late, lol).
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 122355 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Sad that the OP didn't come back to this thread as I would like to ask what's a Power Bank...??

Mentioned in the original post slight_frown

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 11

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

A power bank is a device that you charge up (just like a large battery!) and you carry it round. You can charge various devices from it with a USB lead. Just an example below, I don't endorse it but you can get various capacities at various prices. Mine from memory cost around £20 and charges the phone or tablet three times.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CE61YOY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Message 4 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 122355 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

A power bank is a device that you charge up (just like a large battery!) and you carry it round. You can charge various devices from it with a USB lead. Just an example below, I don't endorse it but you can get various capacities at various prices. Mine from memory cost around £20 and charges the phone or tablet three times.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CE61YOY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Of course! That is the sort of thing folk used to take to Glastonbury before they installed mobile charging points. Maybe we should all carry one to airports now?.... but that is another topic wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes that's why I got it so I can charge things at the aiport if I need to.

With regards to the pins. The cable I am using with the power bank is from my Saumsung charger that I always use when it's charging from the mains. This cable works fine as I say when charging from the mains and it works fine with other devices when connected to my power bank but just not with my phone, which makes me think it's the phone itself! Soooo frustrating! Thanks for the replies people.

Message 6 of 11

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

This seems to be aproblem for many with the S3. It tends to point to a phone issue in all honesty.

If the phone is still under warranty it might be worth getting Samsung to have a look at it. I wouldn't recommend O2 repairers for an issue like this.

Message 7 of 11

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I'd have to agree with jonsie.
There is no reason why it shouldn't charge unless it's a faulty phone, although seems strange that it will charge everywhere else though.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

that's exactly what i'm thinking. i know all the hardware i'm using is working fine so it has to be the phone but i just don't know what i can do to fix it! thank you i will check with samsung.

Message 9 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
I'd have to agree with jonsie.
There is no reason why it shouldn't charge unless it's a faulty phone, although seems strange that it will charge everywhere else though.....

yeah that's what i think and it yep it's a strange one and bloody annoying too! thank you

Message 10 of 11