cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S3 problems

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ever since the update to 4.3 I've had ever increasing problems with my S3, wifi error messages being up there with the most annoying. Latest is the sd card - continuous messages saying "sd card removed unexpectedly" or "sd card is blank or unsupported format" only to go back to "normal" on reboot. However, today is solidly refuses to recognise my sd card is even there, yet it was working perfectly well yesterday, and the phone hasn't moved! Driving me demented. Will not be getting another Samsung, however I can't afford a refresh, so lumbered with it until November grrr. Is there any talk of 4.4 for the s3 yet? Hoping that might fix things, but from what I've read online Samsung have basically sidelined the s3 and refuse to admit there are any issues. To say I'm annoyed is an understatement! Any ideas?
Message 1 of 19
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144287 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
What else that we've not covered do you need to back up?
There is a forum guide here http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Android-Devices-Samsung-HTC-Sony/Guide-to-backing-up-your-Samsung-Andro...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

MI5
  • 144287 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
S3 is supposed to be getting 4.4. Last I heard was by end April but I've heard nothing recently unfortunately.
You sd card problem could just be a failed card - can you read it on a pc attached to a card reader?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi MI5, yes the sd card itself seems fine. The O2 shop insisted I get a Samsung branded sd card and that was the problem....shelled out for that, no difference whatsoever, another waste of money. Seems I am paying a monthly bill for a phone that's effectively unusable. It crashes when I try to take a photo, it has trouble connecting to wifi (either unstable wifi message or authenticating loop), the battery life is appalling - it's down to 40% by 11am just sitting in my bag doing nothing (yes turned everything off, power saving enabled etc). At this point thinking of using it as a doorstop as that's about all it's good for. If I could roll back to 4.2 I would in a heartbeat, but evidently that's not possible. I've contacted both 02 and Samsung, and neither seem remotely interested, they keep trying to push the S4 or S5 on me, which I can't afford to do, and frankly wouldn't touch another version of this anyway, lost all faith
Message 3 of 19

MI5
  • 144287 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
That's a shame because the S3 is really good phone. I've had one for over 2 years without a bit of bother and still wouldn't want to get rid of it. I suggest you push Samsung for service on your handset whilst still in warranty - they can't refuse you....

Currently using:
Message 4 of 19

jonsie
  • 93213 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6969 Solutions

I had very similar problems when I updated my S3 to 4.3. The phone was useless and wouldn't respond to screen wake and constantly crashed. However, after following MI5's guide to a factory reset it sorted all the problems out. Still not as responsive as it was on 4.1.2 but it's not too bad now.

Have you tried a factory reset as there may be conflicts with the previous software version?

Message 5 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
At this point I'll try anything to get it so I can at least use it a little! The 02 shop guy did a reset on it, but who knows exactly what....it was a bit better for about 2 days....could you point me in the direction of the reset-by-MI5 guide please wink
Message 6 of 19

MI5
  • 144287 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
It's here http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Android-Devices-Samsung-HTC-Sony/How-To-Reset-your-Samsung-after-a-Firm...
Sorry, I thought you'd already done it, for some reason.....

Currently using:
Message 7 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks I'll try that and let you know if it fixes anything. The O2 shop told me they had done a reset last time I took it in....
Message 8 of 19

jonsie
  • 93213 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6969 Solutions

Hope it helps you as much as it did me.

Guide to reseting Samsung phones by MI5 - Here

Message 9 of 19

jonsie
  • 93213 Posts