O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

Level 1: Joiner
mkstatto

Samsung Galaxy S3 MicroSim?

Hi,

Have upgraded yesturday to an S3 from a HTC Desire, (still awaiting delivery), so I've got a couple of questions:

1 - Does it require a microsim?

2 - If yes, will one come packaged with the phone and continue my mobile number?

3 - If not, what do I have to do to get one and retain my number.

On a side note if anyone has upgraded from the desire to S3, could they please tell me how there getting on, i.e. moving stuff over, phone performance etc....

Thanks for your help

Please use plain text.
MI5
Topics: 265
Solutions: 3,102

Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 MicroSim?

Yes, the S3 requires a microsim
No, it will not come in the box - you have to request it (don't ask me why!!) Call CS to check as this was the case with the first upgrades that got sent out.
You will find the S3 much faster than the Desire and with many more "tricks" which will take some time to find all of them. Transfer of data etc should be straight forward and easy as both run on Android platform so all is compatible. Any apps you had on Desire can be added to S3 also. If you log into your Google play account and click on "My Apps" you will see all your apps listed for ease of finding them.
Samsung S3 i9305 Dual SIM. Asus Fonepad.
Samsung AtivS WP8.1 Samsung Note 4.
Please use plain text.
Level 1: Joiner
mkstatto

Thanks MI5 for your reply, Luckily requested a microsim at the same time as submitting the question. Whats the deal with transferring the mobile number over to it though? 

Mainly I'm looking forward to a phone with more internal storage than an early 90's computer. And as a warning to desire owners still, I have recently noticed a drop off pf 'in call volume' even when its on its highest.

Please use plain text.
MI5

mkstatto wrote:

Whats the deal with transferring the mobile number over to it though? 

When your new SIM arrives you will need to call CS with the SIM details (number printed on the SIM card) and they will move your phone number over to it. It can take upto 24 hours for the change over to complete and it is best to turn your phone off and on a few times as it usually requires a boot to activate the new SIM.

Please use plain text.
adamtemp64
Topics: 222
Kudos: 953
Solutions: 1,018

http://swapmysim.o2.co.uk/ handy online tool to do the sim swap.

You can always get a microsim in advance from an o2 shop use the form and only push out the full size sim then when the new phone arrives push out the microsim section and ready to go.

2 iPhone 5s 32gb on 4g 8gb tariff 1 iPhone 4s 16gb sim only on business contract
iPad 3 wifi-3g 64gb
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Henstridge Rural South Somerset (still 2g only and it is 2014)
Please use plain text.
Level 2: Apprentice
NickMilner

My S3 came with a new microSim (which I didn't need because I was migrating from an iPhone 4 which also uses a microSim). Could have been a mistake, I suppose.
Please use plain text.
MI5

Hopefully they have realised people will need a new SIM.
Please use plain text.