O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

Level 2: Apprentice
ianpandrew
Accepted Solution

Samsung Galaxy Ace not connecting to home wifi

[ Edited ]
Hi, my Galaxy Ace has recently decided not to connect to my home wifi! have tried with and without wifi security, 3 different routers/APs. other devices all connect ok e.g. iPad, IPhone, Blackberry, MacBookPro.... Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread.XWKPY Any ideas/suggestions? Have tried the usual reboot, FXR wifi fix and rescue etc..
Please use plain text.
MI5
Topics: 233
Solutions: 2,897

Re: Samsung Galaxy Ace not connecting to home wifi

Try deleting your wifi connection profiles and re applying them.
Samsung S3 i9305 Dual SIM. Asus Fonepad.
(HTC One M7. Samsung ATIV s. Xperia Z1.)
Note 4 (still) pre-ordered.
Please use plain text.
ianpandrew

Hi, thanks for the reply but... how do I do that? I've told it forget the connection and then it re-finds it etc... but how do I delete 'profiles'??
Please use plain text.
MI5
Topics: 233
Solutions: 2,897

Yes, that's it, no good?
Have you installed an app recently, anything at all? It sounds like something is conflicting with the wifi. You might have to do a factory reset if you cannot identify the issue....
Samsung S3 i9305 Dual SIM. Asus Fonepad.
(HTC One M7. Samsung ATIV s. Xperia Z1.)
Note 4 (still) pre-ordered.
Please use plain text.
anticpated
Topics: 61
Solutions: 36

[ Edited ]

As your wi-fi connection is open there is no problem for your handset just hook back onto it. Also make sure Roaming is turned off as this will treat your router like a wi-fi hotspot in a sense.

Removing the profile and disabling the wi-fi on the handset should stop it initially. You should be able to reapply any WPA2 settings and then re-scan again for the wireless signal then. Another trick I picked up as well is you can save your password as a text message. Open it up on the telephone then copy and paste it into the logon box.

Not really a trick however a good ready reckoner.

Check for any other routers using the same channel as you nearby in the same area. They may be using the same channel number as you to broadcast the wi-fi signal. Personally I use channel 6 as nobody else seems to think of doing that. I hope this helps.
Please use plain text.
ianpandrew

Factory reset done (after doing a backup), no difference :smileysad: Any thoughts/suggestions anyone?
Please use plain text.
anticpated
Topics: 61
Solutions: 36

Which version of Android are you using 2.3.3 or before? I believe 2.3.5 and 2.3.6 resolved a lot of issues to do with the battery and radio.
Please use plain text.
ianpandrew

yep 2.3.3 how do I get the later version?
Please use plain text.
ianpandrew

ok, looked it up and now downloading necessary files, preparing for surgery!
Please use plain text.
ianpandrew

Doh!!!! just realized that the one common thing between all 3 routers was the SSID (I've used the same one for a long time) so changed it and ... hey presto the Ace connects no problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Too annoyed (with myself) to investigate why, just happy that it now works. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, think I'll hold off the 2.3.6 u/g for a later date.
Please use plain text.