cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SD Card slot on new HTC One M8 unusable on KitKat

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just upgraded to the HTC One M8 on my refresh contract.  One of the main reasons I stick with HTC is that they are flagship phones with the best hardware, which is what I want as a power user.  I was very excited which I found out the M8 was coming with a card slot.

Not so excited after I bought the phone and the card to go in it, when I found out that I couldn't even use the card, as the latest version of Kitkat prevents sdcard use in any non-google pre-installed app.

The only way to fix this is for either O2 to make a change to the Rom or for me to root the phone.  I really do not want to do the latter.

I had an online chat with a 'Guru' who didn't know anything about this flaw, and simply told me to uninstall some apps and use the internal storage which is a lot less than the previous HTC One.  I wasn't happy with the response I got from the Guru who simply ended the chat mid conversation at 11pm without any warning.

This is not the service I have come to expect from O2 and am very disappointed.

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can I ask for an example please
Message 11 of 18

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143411 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I'm not following either, sorry......??
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 18

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22941 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
All apps that aren't the pre-installed Google ones!

You're not being very clear as to what exactly you want to do. No apps, be they pre-installed Google ones or not can be used with an SD card.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 13 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think I've been pretty clear, I want to be able to read and write to the sd card normally, from any app. As I said, the Google apps can read from and write to the card. What is the point in a phone having a card slot that can take 'up to 128GB' if you can't use it, and the internal storage is a fraction of the previous model, 6GB free space with apps installed!
Message 14 of 18

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22941 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Perhaps this link might explain it for you:

http://www.androidcentral.com/kitkat-sdcard-changes

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 15 of 18

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143411 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I think I may be understanding now.....
Did you install the apps before inserting the SD card? If so you will have to delete the apps and download them again with SD card in phone.....
The app will generate it's only folder on the sd card (if one is present) and will then read/write to it as normal.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 16 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes got it now as MI5 says re install the apps with the sd card in let us know how you get on please slight_smile 6gb free is not a lot at all 😞
Message 17 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you have any luck after reinstalling the apps @Anonymous 

Message 18 of 18