cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SD Card slot on new HTC One M8 unusable on KitKat

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just upgraded to the HTC One M8 on my refresh contract.  One of the main reasons I stick with HTC is that they are flagship phones with the best hardware, which is what I want as a power user.  I was very excited which I found out the M8 was coming with a card slot.

Not so excited after I bought the phone and the card to go in it, when I found out that I couldn't even use the card, as the latest version of Kitkat prevents sdcard use in any non-google pre-installed app.

The only way to fix this is for either O2 to make a change to the Rom or for me to root the phone.  I really do not want to do the latter.

I had an online chat with a 'Guru' who didn't know anything about this flaw, and simply told me to uninstall some apps and use the internal storage which is a lot less than the previous HTC One.  I wasn't happy with the response I got from the Guru who simply ended the chat mid conversation at 11pm without any warning.

This is not the service I have come to expect from O2 and am very disappointed.

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions
Essentially the sd card is read-only and it's a kernel thinc as you need to chmod the read write permissions for any external drive partition.

http://gs4.wonderhowto.com/how-to/bypass-sd-card-restrictions-android-4-4-kitkat-your-galaxy-s4-0152...
Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 2 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi and welcome to the community

I can understand your frustration unfortunately the o2 chat is not recommended on here and I think you have found out why if there is no solution are you still within the 7 day cooling off period to return the phone I doubt very much o2 will make a change to the rom of the phone if not you can only hope it will change in the next software release

I personally use my sd card for pictures and viseos and music the apps themselves I keep on the phone

Message 3 of 18

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93157 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

SDFix requires the phone to be rooted. As said it's doubtful O2 will make any changes to the rom and the OP doesn't want to root the phone given the implications of doing so.

Message 4 of 18

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23038 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3668 Solutions

Returning the phone wouldn't make any difference. It wouldn't matter which phone the OP bought. The problem isn't with the phone. It's an Android issue. You can't save apps to the SD card unless the phone is rooted. Couldn't do it even if the phone was running Jelly Bean.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 18

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144075 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
I'm not sure why this is suddenly a problem?
It's never been any different on android.....
It's the reason why an app called apps2sd was developed years ago but this only allowed apps to be installed in a different partition on the internal sd card rather than the external one.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi guys, it's not apps I want to put on the card, it's just using the sd card with my apps, they won't read or write to it!
Message 7 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Bambino what I was meaning was that the Op could return the phone and change it for one with more internal memory as for some reason they chopped the m8 down to 16gb where as the Original one had 32gb
Message 8 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Anonymous what apps are you referring to is it all of them?
Message 9 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
All apps that aren't the pre-installed Google ones!
Message 10 of 18