cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S5 upgraded to 6.0.1 and now the Gyroscope is broken

Anonymous
Not applicable

My S5 upgraded to 6.0.1 at the weekend and shortly afterwards realised my auto-rotate wasn't working.

After a bit of playing found that ALL gyroscope features had stopped working.

I rebooted and it was fine again, but some time later the same thing happened.. And now its doing the same thing over and over.. After a reboot I get normal gyroscope functionality, but only for a while.

Interestingly, when its in the "bad" state, when I go into the self test screen (*#0*#0) and test the Gryos, the temperature shows 9172 and the test fails.

But after a reboot its completetly normal.

I am sure O2/Samsung will say that this is hardware, but I don't buy it, as google shows countless other people reporting the same.. Many of these where able to fix it by "shocking" the phone (hitting it).. But not me.

Has anyone else seen this? Any idea of what to do? Is there any way to "roll back" to my old release?

Jon

Message 1 of 51
50 REPLIES 50

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
Yes, applies to any flash I've done, including different carrier firmwares.

Hmmm.. I am getting conflicting advice from the SamMobile guys.. They believe that a downgrade using Odin will also end up with a loss of data.. So I am not sure what my best option is now.

Message 41 of 51

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
In fairness, I've never owned an S5, so they could be right.
I went from S3 to Note 4.
You may be better off rooting it and sticking CM12 on it, then you can use Titanium backup and reset as many times as you like.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 42 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable

To give an update.. Was able to go to 5.0 using Odin with no trouble.. But it does wipe the memory.

And worse still, where as last week, my backup restored 40% of my stuff.. Now I have rolled back the backup only did 10%

But atleast I am back to 5.0 and can test... If the issue doens't re-occur, I either have to live with 5.0.. Or try a non-OTA upgrade to 6.0.1 again..

It makes sense to try the update again, as I am pretty good at restoring my settings now and it only takes an hour or so of playing.. So now is the best time to do it I guess.

Message 43 of 51

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Thanks for letting us know.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 44 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable

Bad news (For me atleast).. Back at 5.0 and the fault has re-occured again. So its starting to look like this was a co-incidental hardware issue.

I still havnt' ruled out that this is an application issue, so my plan this morning is to factory reset it and then run it with no apps and see if it re-occurs.. If it does, then I guess I need a new phone...

Message 45 of 51

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 46 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to give you a final update.. Factory rest (in 5.0 and 6.0.1) and running with no apps, still causes the issue.

So I can only conclude this is hardware... Odd that a reboot fixes it for minutes or hours (never more than 12 hours).. But I guess its just one of those things.

Now need a new phone an because its a work mobile, I will get a J5, which doesn't even have Gyros.. But atleast the orientation sensor will work...

Shame to scrap the S5 over something so minor but what choice do I have...

Thanks to everyone for their help debugging this.. Shame it worked out how it did.

Jon

Message 47 of 51

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Sorry we couldn't fix this for you - have you considered getting a quote to repair it, at least?

Currently using:
Message 48 of 51

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Sometimes unfortunately you just have to bite the bullet and replace the phone.....:smileysad:

Message 49 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable

I must admit, I didn't even think of that.. I don't even know how to get something like this fixed.. Once I get my J5, I may look into it and if its reasonable.

Where exactly do you go to get things like this fixed? Do Samsung offer a repair service?

Jon

Message 50 of 51