cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S5 upgraded to 6.0.1 and now the Gyroscope is broken

Anonymous
Not applicable

My S5 upgraded to 6.0.1 at the weekend and shortly afterwards realised my auto-rotate wasn't working.

After a bit of playing found that ALL gyroscope features had stopped working.

I rebooted and it was fine again, but some time later the same thing happened.. And now its doing the same thing over and over.. After a reboot I get normal gyroscope functionality, but only for a while.

Interestingly, when its in the "bad" state, when I go into the self test screen (*#0*#0) and test the Gryos, the temperature shows 9172 and the test fails.

But after a reboot its completetly normal.

I am sure O2/Samsung will say that this is hardware, but I don't buy it, as google shows countless other people reporting the same.. Many of these where able to fix it by "shocking" the phone (hitting it).. But not me.

Has anyone else seen this? Any idea of what to do? Is there any way to "roll back" to my old release?

Jon

Message 1 of 51
50 REPLIES 50

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Android-Devices-Samsung-HTC-Sony/HOW-TO-A-Guide-to-using-Odin/m-p/46346...

Edited to add...I see you have found it @MI5 Apologies I was late to the party...Confused

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 31 of 51

MI5
  • 143428 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Thanks
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 32 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
I've managed to copy it, hopefully.

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Android-Devices-Samsung-HTC-Sony/HOW-TO-A-Guide-to-using-Odin/m-p/46346...

Cheers.. Great guide.. I will use that.. I managed to find a linke on SamMobile for Odin 3.11 so I assume this is better to use.. I will give it a crack tomorrow.. Fingers crossed...

Message 33 of 51

MI5
  • 143428 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Yes, the links on Sammobile should be safe.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 34 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:

There is this note in the help section:
I presume this needs to be enabled on the phone before backing up though.

How can I transfer my apps to my new phone?
Make sure "Backup my data" is enabled. As for app syncing, go to Settings > Data usage, tap on the three-dot menu symbol at the top right of the screen, and make sure "Auto-sync data" is turned on. Once you have a backup, select it on your new phone and you'll be offered a list of all the apps on your old phone.

Before I do the "downgrade" I am trying to do a better backup than yesturday.. i treid Keis and if failed with many red crosses.

So I am going back to Smart Switch and am doing what you said above.

Backup My Data is on.. But under Settings > Data usage, there is no "Auto-Sync Data" switch, so I still don't know how to take a backup that will actually work when i need it.

Jon

Message 35 of 51

MI5
  • 143428 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I no longer have a Samsung phone that will connect to Smartswitch, so I can't help you with settings, sorry, but I don't remember doing anything special to back up app data in the past, and my backups always included my app data.

Currently using:
Message 36 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
I no longer have a Samsung phone that will connect to Smartswitch, so I can't help you with settings, sorry, but I don't remember doing anything special to back up app data in the past, and my backups always included my app data.

Cheers.. I did exactly the same backup as yesturday and it looks exactly the same... Its roughtly the same size.. And everything in the list is ticked (including Applkications, Home Screen and Settings).. But this certainly didn't restore as I would have expected yesterday.

So I guess I will just have to try the downgrade and keep my fingers crossed that I don't need to do a restore.

Jon

Message 37 of 51

MI5
  • 143428 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Every time I've done a straight flash it's never changed any settings or apps - It's only the factory reset afterwards that screws that bit up.

Currently using:
Message 38 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
Every time I've done a straight flash it's never changed any settings or apps - It's only the factory reset afterwards that screws that bit up.

Does that even apply to downgrades? It was recommended that I reflash the same firmware using SmartSwitch, but to do that it does a factory reset.

So I am wondering if it might be better to downgrade using Odin, and if that DOES solve the problem, then perhaps try a non-OTA upgrade using SS.

Jon

Message 39 of 51

MI5
  • 143428 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Yes, applies to any flash I've done, including different carrier firmwares.

Currently using:
Message 40 of 51