cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S5 upgraded to 6.0.1 and now the Gyroscope is broken

Anonymous
Not applicable

My S5 upgraded to 6.0.1 at the weekend and shortly afterwards realised my auto-rotate wasn't working.

After a bit of playing found that ALL gyroscope features had stopped working.

I rebooted and it was fine again, but some time later the same thing happened.. And now its doing the same thing over and over.. After a reboot I get normal gyroscope functionality, but only for a while.

Interestingly, when its in the "bad" state, when I go into the self test screen (*#0*#0) and test the Gryos, the temperature shows 9172 and the test fails.

But after a reboot its completetly normal.

I am sure O2/Samsung will say that this is hardware, but I don't buy it, as google shows countless other people reporting the same.. Many of these where able to fix it by "shocking" the phone (hitting it).. But not me.

Has anyone else seen this? Any idea of what to do? Is there any way to "roll back" to my old release?

Jon

Message 1 of 51
50 REPLIES 50

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
It sounds like you didn't select the option to back up app settings?

Everything was ticked.. Including Settings.. Further more, at the end it said that it had backed up EVERYTHING except S.Planner as there was no data (Which is correct)..

So I am pretty sure it backed it up.

Jon

EDIT.. Just looked at the backup, it says it includes:

Personal Content - Messages, memos, Call Logs, Clock

Multi Media - Images, Music, Videos, Docs, Voice Memos, Applications

Settings etc - Email, Home screen, Settings

After teh restore, the entire phone looked different with different effects on the lock screen, different icons at the bottom, and loads of standard widgets. So it didn't even get the "look and feel" right. Even my notification settings are wrong.

I am factory resetting again, and am going to try the restore.. Should I expect the phone to end up exactly as it was before I reset it? Even the layout of application icons? Home screen settings? etc etc etc etc etc

Message 11 of 51

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Hmmmmm, sounds odd.
Were there any options not ticked when you did the restore?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
Hmmmmm, sounds odd.
Were there any options not ticked when you did the restore?

Nope. A few things are working (i.e my POP email settings were populated), but I think they came when I logged into Google.

Nothing is the same.. Even my notification are wrong.. I am factory resetting again and will try another restore.

Message 13 of 51

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

It "should" restore everything back to how it was - that was the purpose of smartswitch when it replaced Kies (which was rubbish).

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 14 of 51

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Last time I used Smartswitch I had the same problem. It did restore wallpaper and media but many of the apps didn't download and all the folders were gone. I had to sign into all my apps again.

Message 15 of 51

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

There is this note in the help section:
I presume this needs to be enabled on the phone before backing up though.

How can I transfer my apps to my new phone?
Make sure "Backup my data" is enabled. As for app syncing, go to Settings > Data usage, tap on the three-dot menu symbol at the top right of the screen, and make sure "Auto-sync data" is turned on. Once you have a backup, select it on your new phone and you'll be offered a list of all the apps on your old phone.

Currently using:
Message 16 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

Last time I used Smartswitch I had the same problem. It did restore wallpaper and media but many of the apps didn't download and all the folders were gone. I had to sign into all my apps again.

Exactly the same for me... I have my wallpaper, but everything else is pretty much gone...

2nd attempt is exactly the same, so my fears are now realised.. Great.. This is going to take hours to get back and I am not sure its even possible to recover some of my settings so I am going to have to start all over again.

Message 17 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable

Right.. I am back up and running.. Rebuilding wasn't too bad.. THe biggest problem I would have had was Notifications on my Pebble watch as I had done a HUGE amount of tuning on that.

Luckily I had reported a bug to the developer a few months back and he asked for a backup of the settings, so I still had them and was able to do a restore...

So everything is now back working and the Gyroscope is still running.. So fingers crossed its now fixed and this was all worth the effort.

THanks for your help so far.. I will be back if it fails, or in a few days if it hasn't to close this off.

Cheers

Jon

Message 18 of 51

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Fingers crossed slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 19 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable

Bad news.. It just failed again.. Exactly the same symptoms..

Reboot and its back working again.. This could be hardware, but I have my doubts.

What now? Any more debugging I can do? If not, what rollback options do I have (And will I be able to do it without having to competely rebuild my phone as I have spent almost a whole day doing?)

Jon

Message 20 of 51