Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S5 battery drain no wakelock

paulbacon
Level 7: Part Timer
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Had my S5 for about 3 months now no issues. Battery really good with about 3% drain overnight on wifi. Fully charged it last night and got up this morning to find the battery on 69%. Thought it was some app causing a wakelock but nothing in the battery stats. The phone only wokeup a few times during the night briefly, and the only processes using the battery were System Idle and Cell Standby. Had full signal all night aswell and wifi was ok.

So what could cause such a battery drain when nothing was using the battery?

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Hi Paul. Has your S5 recently updated to Lollipop?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 17

paulbacon
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
No. I had Lollipop preinstalled when i got the device and then got some bug fix update when i turned the phone on for the 1st time. But all this was when i first got the phone back in early Feb
Message 3 of 17

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Sometimes simply rebooting the phone will clear anything draining the battery.

Message 4 of 17

paulbacon
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Sometimes simply rebooting the phone will clear anything draining the battery.

Yea i used to do that on my S3, as there was a mediaserver bug that would drain the battery. However then you could see the culprit as it was obvious in the battery stats. This time there is nothing in there, nothing using the battery or keeping the phone awake

Message 5 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

I can only go as far as suggesting you take the  battery out to check  to see if it is bulging. (you know the test... if you lay it on a flat surface it should stay flat. Any type of distortion and it will move or rock) This was the cause of battery drain on my S3  when I had it). If it isn't that.. I would have to leave you in the hands of the experts to talk about other battery drain issues.:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Hi again Paul. Just found this from the AndroidCentral Forum. Others having a similar issue. Have a read through and see if there is a solution from those who have posted?

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s5/402199-strange-battery-drain-overheating-no-wakel...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 17

paulbacon
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Cheers. Could be a dodgy app update, although wouldnt this appear in the battery settings?

If i disable pre-installed apps, would that stop them running and using any permissions they have? S5 comes pre-installed with loads of apps you cannot delete that could be causing problems
Message 8 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@paulbacon wrote:
Cheers. Could be a dodgy app update, although wouldnt this appear in the battery settings?

If i disable pre-installed apps, would that stop them running and using any permissions they have? S5 comes pre-installed with loads of apps you cannot delete that could be causing problems

Ah now @paulbacon  you are getting far too technical for me. I know my limitations LOL

I would wait until one of the real Android experts comes along like @MI5 or @viridis  (Unless anyone else comes online before them) wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 17

MI5
  • 144183 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Yes if disabled they effectively are deleted except for the space they take up but I would look at any apps that updated yesterday first.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 17