cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S4 or S5

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am currently half way through a 24 month contract on an S2 with O2 and I am very tempted by the S4. I have looked at the prices and I am tempted to get it and pay off the S2. However I am undecided whether to do that or stick with it till next year. The term finishes in March 2014 and based on the announcements and release dates of the S3 (I got the S2 in March, not knowing the S3 was due in May-if I had known I would have hung on) and S4 then the next gen Galaxy Device (I'm assuming S5) may be at least be announced this time next year. I am attracted to a new phone as:

1. My S2 has started to occasionally freeze and restart itself which is getting on my nerves

2. Battery life isn't great-I've even put a 2100amh in but want more

3. As an Android enthusiast I am impatient of waiting for the JB update

4. The techy in me always wants better. I practically have OCD when it comes to gadget and software updates.

So-stick with the S2 and wait till next year to see whats available then or pay it off and get the S4 once its out?

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

version7point0
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 648 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 181 Solutions

Hi mab7689.

Staying up to date in the mobile world is always going to be a game of catch-up in a matter of months when you get a new phone.

If you live holding off for the latest and greatest you will spend more time admiring others than doing what you should, enjoying your phone for what it is.

I would certainly look at getting a SIM free device like others have mentioned here as typically you will get updates faster, I know it can seem like a lot of money at first, but in the long run if you choose a Simplicity tariff you will recoup the cost.

As a side note, it is not always the phone that says "I'm a mobile tech power user" - it is the way you use it and set it up. I still see the occasional S2 user who has made more of their phone than a S3 user who has downloaded task managers, battery managers and a bazillion "shady" apps.

TLDR: Go for the S4 and enjoy it.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144185 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Sell S2 and buy a SIM free S4, continue to use your current contract SIM in the S4 until next year then upgrade your contract to an S5 slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
I wish I could afford to get a SIM free in one go. Cheapest I've seen is £590 on Amazon
Message 3 of 9

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

Doesn't sound to me like you'll be able to wait another year. I'm certain there will be a new Samsung by this time next year, but a year is a long time in the mobile phone world. Why don't you try to sell your S2 and put the money towards buying out your contract and getting the S4? This will, of course, put you in the same situation this time next year, as you will most likely have to take out a 24 month contract to get the S4.

As you say you are OCD with gadgets and software updates, you'd probably be better off buying a sim free phone outright. You'd get updates much sooner and you could upgrade your phone whnever you wanted to.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 9

version7point0
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 648 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 181 Solutions

Hi mab7689.

Staying up to date in the mobile world is always going to be a game of catch-up in a matter of months when you get a new phone.

If you live holding off for the latest and greatest you will spend more time admiring others than doing what you should, enjoying your phone for what it is.

I would certainly look at getting a SIM free device like others have mentioned here as typically you will get updates faster, I know it can seem like a lot of money at first, but in the long run if you choose a Simplicity tariff you will recoup the cost.

As a side note, it is not always the phone that says "I'm a mobile tech power user" - it is the way you use it and set it up. I still see the occasional S2 user who has made more of their phone than a S3 user who has downloaded task managers, battery managers and a bazillion "shady" apps.

TLDR: Go for the S4 and enjoy it.

Message 5 of 9

MI5
  • 144185 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Ray makes a good point about how you use the phone. I've deliberately left my S3 stock so I can experience it as Sammy intends but my heavily modded S2 is my favourite phone slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Preordered from Carphone Warehouse (hosted on O2). £32 a month, 1gb data, unlimited texts and minutes, £99.99 handset cost and free accessories bundle

Message 7 of 9

MI5
  • 144185 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 8 of 9

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Preordered from Carphone Warehouse (hosted on O2). £32 a month, 1gb data, unlimited texts and minutes, £99.99 handset cost and free accessories bundle

Let us know what you think of the phone slight_smile

Message 9 of 9