O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

Android Devices (Samsung, HTC, Sony Ericsson, etc.)

Level 2: Apprentice
Keith-47424

S3 text notifications sounds not always working

Has anyone had this problem? All the settings as far as I am concerned are correct but sometimes the text notifications sounds are not always working.

Any help gratefully received.

Please use plain text.
MI5
Topics: 180
Solutions: 2,341

Re: S3 text notifications sounds not always working

Are you referring to visual or audible notifications. You may not get an audible notification if you already have the messaging app open.....
Samsung S3 i9305 Dual SIM Three UK / giffgaff
HTC One O2 4G Unlimited
Samsung ATIV s EE 4G
Please use plain text.
Keith-47424

Audible as the visual appears at the top of the screen.

Ah good question. I have absolutely no idea if the message app is open. I suspect that it maybe but as I am new to android how would I know? And how do you close it? And even if it is open why would the audible notification not work?

Please use plain text.
MI5

If you open "Task Manager" it will show any open apps. I guess the assumption is that if you have the app open you would see a new message come through and not need the audible notification....? I noticed mine does it in the email app but not noticed it in the messaging app....
HTC One O2 4G Unlimited
Samsung ATIV s EE 4G
Please use plain text.
Keith-47424

Can I be really stupid here? But how do I open "Task manager?" I am a real android virgin. Must admit that I was an Iphone man before.

On the subject of sms audible notifications, it is still not working correctly. Or as I would at least expect it to. For example, today it was charging and was in theory not being used and I noticed the screen come on for a few seconds and then go off. I went over to check and noticed that a message had come through but no audible notification again. The audible notification is definitely checked. So help please?????

Please use plain text.
MI5

Task manager is an app. It will be in your app list. Just tap it to open. Are you getting audible notofications for other apps...? Check in settings >sounds that you have all the bars moved up.
HTC One O2 4G Unlimited
Samsung ATIV s EE 4G
Please use plain text.
Keith-47424

I didn't have Task manager. Have now installed it. As to other notification? Such as? Sorry for being an idiot. I have checked settings and all bars are moved up. I have also seen on other sites that people have mentioned the icons on the drop down bar. This is also green for the "notification" icon. The one for sound is grey. What I cannot understand is sometimes the audible works but most of the time it doesnt.

Please use plain text.
MI5

For other notifications, I meant if you receive an email, for example, ie if you get an email does the phone give an audible sound but then without changing anything you get a text which does not get an audible sound...? I think somewhere you may be turning off sounds but a bit difficult to tell without looking at the phone. Maybe you could pop into an O2 store and have a Guru look at your settings for you?
HTC One O2 4G Unlimited
Samsung ATIV s EE 4G
Please use plain text.
biglou123

You can also access task manager by holding down the home button
Please use plain text.
Keith-47424

Thanks Biglou. Didnt know that. But I do now. 

On the audible side, I think I may know why this is now working. Today I have changed the notification to one of the normal tones and everytime it worked no problems. I have therefore deleted the tone I had and re-instaled it. I will see how I get on from here. I will advise in due course.

Thanks to everyone for their help so far.

Please use plain text.