cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems saving onto my GT-S5830i external memory card

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

i Just bought a 32 GB Memory card for my new Samsung GT-S5830i but when I download new applications I cannot seem to find a way for these to be saved directly to the external memory. instead the download fails as my phones internal memory is insufficient. 

How would I get Apps, pictures, videos, music etc. to save to this memory by default? 

I have looked all over for this and can't seem to find anything in the manual either, any help appreciated.

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Go into settings >Applications >All and go into each app. Some of them will give you the option to move to sd card. Others will require the use of the above app but at least by moving some you will have space to install the app. To change default save location go into your camera app and change it in the settings, do the same for the internet and email (for saving downloads and attachments).
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I used an app called App2SD for this but you will have to make some space in the phone's memory first.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 10

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Go into settings >Applications >All and go into each app. Some of them will give you the option to move to sd card. Others will require the use of the above app but at least by moving some you will have space to install the app. To change default save location go into your camera app and change it in the settings, do the same for the internet and email (for saving downloads and attachments).
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you will give it a try.

Can this not be done without an App?

Message 4 of 10

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
See my answer above ^^^

Currently using:
Message 5 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

ok I downloaded the app but none of the apps I have on my phone can be moved to SD card! This is so frustrating with the phone telling me Momory full but I have a 32GB memory card! No Photos or music just a few apps. Suggestions?

Message 6 of 10

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
The partition that holds your apps is full either because you have more apps than space or because previously downloaded and deleted apps have left behind cached files.
You need to (ideally) boot into recovery mode by holding Vol Up + Home + Power and then navigate to clear cache using vol down and press the power key to execute.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 10

Sammy_boy
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 171 Posts
  • 12 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
What version of Android does the phone run? I believe Jelly Beans and above won't let you save apps to memory card. Can't believe some manufacturers produce phones still with only a couple of hundred Mb for apps in this day and age!
Message 8 of 10

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I believe it's only 4.3 and above when the option to move to SD card was introduced. Even then some apps just don't work unless they are integrated with the phone rather than the SD card.

Message 9 of 10

Sammy_boy
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 171 Posts
  • 12 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
I've done it in the past with old Gingerbread devices like the Xperia Mini and an HTC Wildfire to preserve precious phone memory, noticed the option tends not to be there on more modern devices? Will check on my Xperia E1 tomorrow.
Message 10 of 10