cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note 4: Latest Software Update and battery life

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

I have had the Note 4 since December 2015.  I really like the phone but the batttery life is dire.  I am constantly having to make sure that is charged and lately I have missed calls and the odd photo due to a flat battery.I confess I have Bluetooth swiched on all the time for my Pebble watch but I can't be the only one who has this.

• I installed the latest software update that mentioned battery life improvements - has anybody else noticed this? Version is now 5.1.1
  • I hear Android M ( 5.2 ?) is meant to improve battery life over the initally disappointing Lollipop ( tho this improving with each update).  I wonder if anyone has tested this out.
  • The fast charging seems to equate to equally faster battery drain and I tend to prefer slow charging.
  • Anybody got any tips re battery life inc rooting ?

Daniel

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144205 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

@Anonymous have you turned on app optimisation?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 22

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

@blissgirl wrote:
I have the note 4 & can get thru a week without charging slight_smile

Really? Just....wow!

Message 12 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@MI5 wrote:
You must have something specific draining the life out of your battery as I can get 2 days and I'm a fairly heavy user.
My BT is also on for connection to my Gear 2.

2 days?

wow i'm a heavy user and by 4pm i'm down to about 30% battery!!

Yes that is about what I get.   Less if have I have done a full charge with the high speed charger.

Message 13 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:

@Anonymous have you turned on app optimisation?

@MI5, I have the basic PowerSave swiched on but not with with "Restrict background data" unchecked as I am unsure how this will impact my email apps . Again Restricted performance and Greyscale mode area all off.

I will look to see if I can just one app for Outlook/ IMAP and one one for  gmail . I see to be running 2 for  each!

Daniel

Message 14 of 22

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

I just use the myMail app which handles all my emails including Gmail, yahoo, virgin, outlook etc.

Screenshots_2015-11-09-21-33-34.png

Message 15 of 22

MI5
  • 144205 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Settings >Battery >App optimisation.....?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 16 of 22

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions
Message 17 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

The only things i leave on are WiFi, Screen Rotation, Mobile data and Sync plus i only have the brightness set at about 50%. I have 4G turned off as its non-existant.

I use the handset to listen to music, maybe a couple hours a day, browse facebook and twitter quite often, stream videos (netflix, twitch etc) during lunch hour and have 2 email accounts that constantly sync.

Sometimes i charge my Note 4 at work in the afternoon so i go home with 100% battery and by bed time 10pm - 11pm) its back down to about 30%

Message 18 of 22

MI5
  • 144205 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

It should be set to on as default with the latest update?

Should be but may have been disabled....?

Currently using:
Message 19 of 22

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions