cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non unlockable bootloader on all O2 devices?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it true that the bootloader cannot be unlocked on any android phone sold direct from O2 (and most likely other networks) ? 

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144157 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Is it true that the bootloader cannot be unlocked on any android phone sold direct from O2 (and most likely other networks) ? 

Yes, 90% of Android phones sold by networks have locked bootloaders which cannot be unlocked.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi.

Carrying out such a process to root and apply a custom ROM can invalidate a manufacturers warranty and as such O2 would prefer we don't discuss this.

Same situation for jail breaking.

Lots of info via a google search. wink
Message 2 of 8

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

O2 don't actively lock their devices' bootloader however they do add a network lock into their firmware builds. My LG G2 has a network lock on it and since I won't be changing anytime soon, I've never had that removed yet. 

In principle, you can unlock any bootloader or change it however at the risk of voiding the manufacterers warranty. Google based devices only need, fastboot oem unlock command where as Samsung now have a system called KNOX which adds a security tag to the process; in principle it's like one of those stickers where once removed the guarantee is broken.

Sony uses encrypted and locked Bootloaders on some networks although I can't really say for O2. I suspect the process is broken when you dial the corrrect system codes. Usually this is tied to the IMEI and model number.

A short and basic answer is, if you don't undestand what you are doing don't do it or give it to someone that does. Every manufacturer differs.

I am no way implying you are incapable or otherwise going to break your warranty.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 3 of 8

MI5
  • 144157 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, 90% of Android phones sold by networks have locked bootloaders which cannot be unlocked.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 8

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

Are you sure MI5 or are you being careful what you say? Surprised

Message 5 of 8

MI5
  • 144157 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
If the service menu of the phone states "boatloader unlock allowed - no" it's a hopeless lost cause. Sim free phones usually say "yes" but not network phones.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 8

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

OK I got ya. I need to check mine.

Message 7 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Locked bootloader on my Xperia S was a major reason for me leaving O2 and moving to giff gaff, also for purchasing my Nexus 4. Didn't want to be left with a phone which no longer had manufacturers support, but lacked anyway to utilise the community support out there !!
Message 8 of 8