cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No SMS/MMS after 5.1.1 update Nexus 9 Lte

Anonymous
Not applicable

So I've spent way too much time trying to figure this out.  I have N9 Lte - all working fine until 5.1.1 update effectively killed SMS and MMS completely - nothing works, not reciving or sending.  I've tried sideloading G Messenger, GoSMS and a few others, but nothing works.

I had MMS re-provisioned - nothing

I've even got a new tablet after RMAing for dodgy screen - same problem.

If I downgrade to 5.0.1 - it works....in 5.0.2 it's fine also, but in 5.1.1 - nothing.  It's driving me crazy as I paid more for the Lte, and I'm paying for a package which includes SMS that I can't ever use.

Can anyone tell me why messaging broke in 5.1.1?

Message 1 of 51
50 REPLIES 50

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

I think Chris is on holiday this week so I'm sure he will respond as soon as he back in work.

Yes...on holiday till the 21st October...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 41 of 51

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

I'm not sure he will have anything to report but if it's a problem on the o2 network only then they need to be doing some testing and getting it resolved.

Message 42 of 51

MI5
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
He's already said it had been passed on for investigation so I'm sure there will be some feedback after his holidays.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 43 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't mean to seem impatient - I'm new on this fofrum and unsure of it's workings.  I'm v grateful for the help i've had so far!

I've been into an O2 store where I spent about an hour going through the problem with a really helpful Android guru.  We started at Android 5.0.2 where all worked, then did the updates/s

Nothing, no sms/mms - just data.

It would seem after looking at the guru's forums that there are in fact others with the sdame problems, and that it looks liikde a software problem which google needs to fix.

Of course I have tried sending bug reports etc, but google make it very hard to make your voice heard.  Of course it would be good for O2 if the problems were fixed to save support calls......so I'm just sending as many error reports as I can and hoping for the best.

Message 44 of 51

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Hey all,

Sorry for any frustration or upset caused with the lack of info - I did escalate this to our device team prior to going on leave and it seems an update was released on/around 8th October which included many updates including a fix for this SMS/MMS issue raised.

I'm not sure if you've done this update or have it available but the version of it should be 'MRA58K' - have you recently updated to this new update or perhaps have it showing as available if you search for updates manually?

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 45 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Chris

Thanks for getting back to me......It's a bit frustrating but it's ok.  I am on the latest update Android 6.0, yes - I did the update with a guru in the store.

Sending SMS fails in all apps, as does MMS (which I don't really need personally).  Hangouts crashes completely if I try to send MMS.

Have tried Hangouts, GoSMS & Google Messenger (which gives the error 'Can't send message using CARD1: error -1") to name a few.  My conclusion is that it's not fixed sadly.

I downgraded to Android 5.0.2 yesterday prior to going to the store, so they could see exactly what  happened, and SMS was working fine, though incidentally MMS did not work (error was something about MMS not being included in my package).

Obviously the guru checked all my settings and was as bemused as I am lol.  This definately seems to be something Google needs to fix!

Message 46 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable

So here I am a year later, and no one has been able to help me 😞

There's a bug report here

I've tried alll ways of reporting this but still get no help. I feel let down 😞

Anyone got any ideas a year on?

Message 47 of 51

MI5
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
Won't you be getting android 7 soon?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 48 of 51

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12053 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1122 Solutions
Bit late coming to the party, but would it be something to do with the OS not linking to the radio?
Seems as though some part of the code that recognises the device has a signal (good or bad) is now either missing or is blocked somehow?
Do you have a setting to choose which band to connect to? Perhaps looking for one that o2 don't use or isn't supported by the device?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 49 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for getting back to me guys.....much appreciated

Yes, Android 7 installed but problem remains.  I've  looked at the channels but they look fine - and Data IS working, so it's connected to Lte.

It's odd that going back to Android 5 fixes it - it obviouslky makes it an adroid problem though as my Tablet can send SMS on dearlier version.

I did try flashing vendor.img from 5.0.2 - which worked, but screwed other stuff up in MM,  so had to revert to MM vendor.img

Only other thing I could think of is how O2  provision for the Nexus 9, but they claim it's all correct on their end.

Message 50 of 51