cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Network on Samsung Galaxy 5 02 phone

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, 

After purchasing a second hand SG5, I had to venture out to the shops as my new phone only accepted the 02 network, for other sims like orange it demanded a network unlock code. 

I popped a new sim in the Samsung Galaxy 5 only to read theres no network. 

Possibly the phone is barred, but how do I know for sure that the phone is barred? How can I find out and how can I resolve this issue ?

Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144066 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
The phone is worthless now so you need to pursue the person you bought it off.
You may wish to get the police and the insurance company who paid out involved as either way the phone now belongs to the insurance company.
They may wish to take action against the fraudster but it may not help you financially I'm afraid......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Cleoriff
  • 122763 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous 

Where did you buy the phone? 

It seems it could  be locked to O2 in which case you need to unlock it

https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=2&route=unlocking&case=Handset%20Unlocking%20Form

However, if you are worried that the phone may be barred you can check using the checkmend link below. This is why I asked where you purchased the phone.

We have heard of many instances where phones bought from some sites have been reported as lost or stolen therefore the IMEI is blocked

http://www.checkmend.com/uk/

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122763 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

To add...I have just found another site where you can check your phones IMEI number and see if it is blocked or barred.....

http://www.imei.info/

(I have googled this information and am hoping it is a link we could use again?)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
If the phone was listed as working on O2 then O2 customer services will be able to advise if it's imei barred for free.

o2 Customer Services Link http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Checkmend are a good source of information and they do charge a small fee.

O2 would only unlock a handset that's been used on their network. So it would then accept an Orange Sim Card etc.

I would try another O2 payg SIM card just incase the one you have is faulty or try it in another phone that accepts O2 SIM cards ,and check your local masts by Inputting your Full Post Code here to check your local Masts -> http://status.o2.co.uk in your area.

If it is barred then I'd suggest contacting the person you bought it from ,or if off an auction site start a dispute straightaway.
Message 4 of 14

MI5
  • 144066 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Good links Cleoriff....
To the OP, what type of O2 sim did you put in the phone?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 14

jonsie
  • 93149 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions
Message 6 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi, thank you for your response. I did the check mend, it turns out the person who sold me the phone reported it lost or stolen to to mobile network. 

what are my next steps? how do I proceed from here?

Message 7 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
You will need to try and recover the monies you paid for the phone from the person who sold it to you in afraid @Anonymous
Message 8 of 14

jonsie
  • 93149 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

If you bought it from ebay or a store you need to contact nthem. If an individual, police and/or the insurance company. Whichever route you go it will be a little difficult to get your money back.

Message 9 of 14

MI5
  • 144066 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
The phone is worthless now so you need to pursue the person you bought it off.
You may wish to get the police and the insurance company who paid out involved as either way the phone now belongs to the insurance company.
They may wish to take action against the fraudster but it may not help you financially I'm afraid......

Currently using:
Message 10 of 14