cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No 3G in a 3G area

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello hopefully someone can help
I have a HTC One X Plus and have been with o2 for over a year now.
But I moved house about 6 months ago and can't get any internet all I get is a constant G next too the signal bars.

Also if I put my postcode in the search it puts me about 6 miles from my address but if I use a postcode that is only a few yards away from me it says that I'm in a good 3G area.

My wife's phone that is with Tesco mobile get either a 3G or a H and also her spare Three phone gets 3G (using it as a WiFi hotspot).

Tech support have told me to do a soft reset and update the settings and take the SIM out and replace it all have not helped.

But I noticed if I change the network to WCDMA only for a split second I get 3G then my signal goes and I have no bars.

My phone is set to GSM/WCDMA auto.

Please I hope someone has a answer as I find it stupid that 2 other phones on too different providers gets mobile internet but not me.

The postcode I use that is near my house is pl277hw
Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

It's a fact some models of phones hang onto signal better than others.

Perhaps having a diagnostic run on the phone may help.

Their is planned maintenance going on in your postcode which may be affecting the strengths.

"To keep everything running smoothly, sometimes we need to carry out important work on our network.

If we’re working on a mast near you, your service could be affected. Unexpected events could sometimes have an impact too.

To see if there’s any planned maintenance (or unexpected issues) where you are, take a look below."

Start Fixed Details Status
Apr 21, 2014
06:00 am
Apr 22, 2014
10:00 pm
NOTIFICATION OF MAINTENANCE TO THE O2 2G NETWORK
We’re carrying out maintenance on parts of the 2G network between 10:00pm on Sunday 20th April and 06:00am on Monday 21st April.
This may result in the loss of 2G services to some sites for up to 4 hours in these areas:
• Downpatrick (reference number 2073657)

If you've got a 2G phone, you won't be able to use it for calls, texts, email, or internet. Our 3G network will be working as normal.
Pending
Apr 19, 2014
Apr 20, 2014
We’re carrying out maintenance on parts of the 2G network between 10:00pm on Saturday 19th April and 06:00am on Sunday 20th April.
This may result in the loss of 2G services to some sites for up to 4 hours in these areas:
• Newry, Banbridge & Newcastle areas (reference number 2073645)

If you've got a 2G phone, you won't be able to use it for calls, texts, email, or internet. Our 3G network will be working as normal.
Pending
Apr 17, 2014
Apr 18, 2014
We’re carrying out maintenance on parts of the 2G network between 10:00pm on Thursday 17th April and 06:00am on Friday 18th April.
• East Glasgow (reference number 2073589)

Fixed

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi tesco mobile uses O2 so if that phone gets a signal your O2 one should have you tried your sim in another phone to rule out the phone as the issue?
Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

It's a fact some models of phones hang onto signal better than others.

Perhaps having a diagnostic run on the phone may help.

Their is planned maintenance going on in your postcode which may be affecting the strengths.

"To keep everything running smoothly, sometimes we need to carry out important work on our network.

If we’re working on a mast near you, your service could be affected. Unexpected events could sometimes have an impact too.

To see if there’s any planned maintenance (or unexpected issues) where you are, take a look below."

Start Fixed Details Status
Apr 21, 2014
Apr 22, 2014
We’re carrying out maintenance on parts of the 2G network between 10:00pm on Sunday 20th April and 06:00am on Monday 21st April.
• Downpatrick (reference number 2073657)

Pending
Apr 19, 2014
Apr 20, 2014
We’re carrying out maintenance on parts of the 2G network between 10:00pm on Saturday 19th April and 06:00am on Sunday 20th April.
• Newry, Banbridge & Newcastle areas (reference number 2073645)

Pending
Apr 17, 2014
Apr 18, 2014
We’re carrying out maintenance on parts of the 2G network between 10:00pm on Thursday 17th April and 06:00am on Friday 18th April.
• East Glasgow (reference number 2073589)

Fixed
Message 3 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have just requested a unlock code for my handset and I will try my wife's Tesco SIM in my phone once that is done.
I would try mine in hers but hers is network locked to Tesco.
Lucky they are both micro sim. But I am able to get a H signal on my phone about 1/2 mile from my house lol no use to me there hehe

Thanks for the replys.. btw how would I run a diagnostic on my phone (is that something I can do).
Message 4 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Your welcome it's an odd one but if your sim works in her phone then it's a problem with the phone which could be the case 😞
Message 5 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
An authorised engineer or the manufacturer would be able to run a diagnostic if the need arises.

Some CPW outlets have repair centres within them.
Message 6 of 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
The Tesco sim will work in your phone without unlocking but not the other way round. The HTC one is usually very good at holding a signal but the wife's sim will prove if phone or sim fault.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Tried my wife's Tesco SIM in my phone and no luck got full bars but no mobile internet.. that was both with a case on and off. 😞
Message 8 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Did you go into settings, networks and search network to choose Tesco?

You shouldn't need to but worth checking.
Message 9 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

So it looks like it is indeed the phone that is faulty

Message 10 of 10