cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nexus 6, second handset, nothing but a headache.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone.

I got a nexus 6 in February, a week later it started going wrong and got progressively worse. It got to the point where i couldn't use it outside of the house (something to do with leaving wifi area, i am guessing). I couldn't use the camera if the battery was below 30%. Eventually, it got to a point where it turned itself off and wouldn't get back past the security screen when I turned it back on again. Anyway, that was sent back to O2 for repair over Easter, after a factory reset etc did nothing to fix the issue. The phone came back and immediately turned itself off again when I turned it on, with battery at 28%. I got it back on after charging, and it seemed to behave ok for a while and then went back to it's pre repair behaviour. I called O2 and asked for a new handset, which they happily sent out to me. I have had this new handset for under a week and it has started to turn itself off when I want to use the camera (battery at 28% again!). The software is up to date, by the way.

So, my questions are;

Is this a known issue? Is there any point in me trying to fix it?

And is it worth contacting O2 and asking for a different phone? Would they do this? I love the Nexus 6, but it can't deliver what it claims to and I can't keep paying for a phone that doesn't actually allow me to perform tasks. 

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

I am not sure about it being a known issue but I think O2 repairs should be avoided. You should be contacting a dedicated Nexus repair centre to ask for help and advice in my opinion. I expect the new handset is still under warranty?

https://support.google.com/nexus/?hl=en-GB#topic=3415518

Edit: After doing a google search it appears this IS a known issue. Most of the advice given follows what I have said above.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 7

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

Motorola is the Nexus 6 manufacturer, so I would advise contacting their support. 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 7

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions
Message 4 of 7

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Are you sure this isn't an app causing a conflict with the OS..?

Personally I Would do a factory reset and install apps one by one to see if the issue is the same. Seems very strange that two different handsets would switch off at 28%?

Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks everyone. That's a good point about the apps. I will try that when the battery is lower. If that doesn't find the problem, I will contact Motorola. If it's an app, I will come back and let you know.
Thanks again.
Message 6 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Anonymous do you have any updates on this?
Message 7 of 7