cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nexus 4 and Windows 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

My Nexus 4 is not recognised by Windows 7 (64bit) however my Nexus 7 is ok. Does anyone know why this might be and how to solve the problem?

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

There's an genius program you can download, that lets you see what device is registered to any USB port on your computer system. I will place a link at the end of this once I find it again.

Essentially when you plug in a device another time to a port it will use information from the registry, although there is a limit to how many devices can be installed. Something like 64 overall, not sure of the proper number though.

The Nexus 4 might not be covered by the Google ADB (Android Device Bridge...me thinks) driver and it worth checking the version you are using is compatible. Secondly, make sure USB Debugging is turned on in the Developer settings under your System on the Nexus 4. Otherwise, it might not be picked up.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

I think as the Nexus 7 is a tablet computer already, it maybe doesn't need prompted to change device type as primarily is not a mobile handset. I might be barking up the wrong tree, however Einstein would be proud of that theory maybe. 😉

P.S. USB Debugging is used when making system changes such as firmware updates.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143427 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It will be a driver issue. Try connecting the phone and leaving it for a while to allow windows to search. If it can't load the drivers automatically do a Google search for the Nexus 4 drivers and install them manually.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've tried that but still no luck!

Message 3 of 8

MI5
  • 143427 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Tried what? Have you searched for and installed the drivers? Did windows report that the drivers were successively installed?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Installed the drivers from the Android Toolkit from zda-developers.

Message 5 of 8

MI5
  • 143427 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Did windows say the drivers were installed correctly ?

Have you rebooted the PC?

Have you tried a different USB port and cable ?

I'm gonna need more than one line answers from you with better info if you want help......

Currently using:
Message 6 of 8

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

There's an genius program you can download, that lets you see what device is registered to any USB port on your computer system. I will place a link at the end of this once I find it again.

Essentially when you plug in a device another time to a port it will use information from the registry, although there is a limit to how many devices can be installed. Something like 64 overall, not sure of the proper number though.

The Nexus 4 might not be covered by the Google ADB (Android Device Bridge...me thinks) driver and it worth checking the version you are using is compatible. Secondly, make sure USB Debugging is turned on in the Developer settings under your System on the Nexus 4. Otherwise, it might not be picked up.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

I think as the Nexus 7 is a tablet computer already, it maybe doesn't need prompted to change device type as primarily is not a mobile handset. I might be barking up the wrong tree, however Einstein would be proud of that theory maybe. 😉

P.S. USB Debugging is used when making system changes such as firmware updates.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 7 of 8

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

On my Nexus 4 running XP it couldn't find any drivers but having it under usb debugging did allow it to be seen as a mass storage device. However, I did purchase this program as I needed Outlook sync: http://www.android-sync.com/ and it does install the right usb drivers. Check out the quick start page as it may also help in solving the issue.

I'll add that it is about £20 and worth every penny if you need local Outlook synchronisation. (and one big reason I didn't put the Nexus4 up for sale!).

Message 8 of 8