cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFC enabled SIM ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello guys,

I havent been on here for some time, not had much chance to find the right info on O2 community so thought I might try out a new thread.

As you all know mobile pay contactless is out for USA and Korea - e.g Android Pay and Samsung Pay.

Android Pay is to be released for UK in the next few weeks (I presume) Bouncy ... was told by my brother that your SIM card has to be NFC enabled for the mobile contactless to work (of course the phone is NFC enabled as standard) but for contactless payments to be enabled for SIM use?

He states that it needs to have a  on the sim card somewhere to state that is it already enabled? Don't know

Can anyone help me out please? Feedback

Thanks.

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
You SIM does not need to be NFC enabled in order to use Android / Samsung / Apple Pay they all rely on the built in NFC secured elements.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
You SIM does not need to be NFC enabled in order to use Android / Samsung / Apple Pay they all rely on the built in NFC secured elements.
Message 2 of 5

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

@PhoneChanger wrote:

Yes that's right, done through the NFC chip in the phone. The simcard has no bearing on it.

Message 3 of 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144201 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27634 Solutions
It would only be required on sim where EAP was a requirement https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extensible_Authentication_Protocol#Methods
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 5

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

@Anonymous Your brother has given you incorrect information. If your phone supports NFC, all you will need to do is download and install the Android Pay or Samsung Pay app, and enter your credit card details into the particular app. Be aware that there are limits per transaction, as there are with contactless debit or credit cards.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 5