Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MyO2 update v6.0 location bug

paulbacon
Level 7: Part Timer
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Since updating to the new version of myo2 this morning, it now requires location services. Trouble is even after closing the app it leaves gps active which kills the battery. Only fix is to reboot device. Anyone else? Few on play store reporting same
Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same here now on 6.0.1 - the message in play store says something along the lines of "we appreciate your feedback, the latest update should have fixed any issues you had experienced"

Message 21 of 29

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

paulbacon
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

6.0.1 fixes the GPS issue by removing the location permission. Instead it now wants access to your contacts. Dont see why but least its fixed

Message 23 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable
Myo2 asks for permission to access your contacts so that when you access myo2 to see your usage it will tell you who you have called or texted rather than just a list of numbers. I think that is most helpful. If you don't want that then I think you can decline to share your contacts.
Message 24 of 29

paulbacon
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Ah get you, yes useful feature

I think Google need to change the naming/descriptions of the permissions. Or at least makes the devs tell us why they need a certain permission.

Some permissions are very vague and sound scary even though they maybe innocent
Message 25 of 29

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

As My O2 integrates with the phone OS it will need to have certain permissions but it's always as well to check app permissions in general. Some of them beggar belief but some are necessary. It's our choice then as to whether we use the app. Glad to see location permission has been removed though.

Message 26 of 29

paulbacon
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

As My O2 integrates with the phone OS it will need to have certain permissions but it's always as well to check app permissions in general. Some of them beggar belief but some are necessary. It's our choice then as to whether we use the app. Glad to see location permission has been removed though.

Yea i understand that some are needed, but its the way they're shown on the permissions page that can seem alarming.

I used an app a few years ago that was legit, but had a permission to make "premium rates calls without user permission". Thats what Google Play described it as, and people were worried that the app was going to ring numbers and users have a high phone bill. In reality it was a permisison to allow users to make phone calls using the app which was perfectly legit for what the app was doing

But its the way the permission was described that scared people at first

Message 27 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

I did wonder how it did give me names and not numbers - I agree, I find it very useful.

Message 28 of 29

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi guys,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention and sorry for the delayed reply. The New Android version indeed had the GPS permission switched on by mistake but MyO2 did not use this for anything and had no intention either. This may have caused some users batteries to drain more quickly so apologies for the inconvenience.  

Our MyO2 teams reacted on this feedback as soon as you guys highlighted it here on the O2 Community and actually worked overnight on a fix. As a result, version 6.0.1 was submitted to the Google Play Store same day on Friday and was made available to download/update to all users.

And for all you iOS users waiting patiently – the new version will be live on the App store in the next few days so keep your eyes peeled.

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 29 of 29