cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile Data Disconnected

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am currently in China using an HTC One M8 which I had on an O2 contract when I was in the UK. O2 helped me unlock/unlatch the phone before i came out here, but using a China Mobile 4G sim I'm unable to pick up 4G at all. In the Mobile Data option of Settings, the only option is the 'Disconnected' option. Does anyone have any idea how I can get 4G on my phone in this situation?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Did you specifically say you were going to use China Mobile and ask them if it would work on 4G?
Looking at the frequencies used in China, some of the other networks use 2300 mhz which would work with your phone OK.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
They probably said that so you could unlock the device & put a local Chinese sim in it
Message 12 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Which mainland Chinese network works on 2300Mhz? And this will work with 4G on the HTC One M8?

Sorry for demand for extreme clarity, I've just spent the last hour talking to an Indian brick wall in the O2 Chat; maybe a Chinese Wall would've been more appropriate.

Message 13 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, in hindsight I should've asked more questions, but then I'm not in the mobile phone business, just an ignorant sucker.

Message 14 of 16

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
According to the specs, your phone will receive 4G on the following bands:
LTE band 3(1800), 7(2600), 8(900), 20(800) - EMEA
Again, according to info on internet (no personal experience so I suggest you check with the networks) the following providers have 4g on these frequencies:
4G LTE HKT 1800/2600Mhz; 4G LTE Hutchison 1800/2600Mhz; 4G LTE SmarTone 1800Mhz;
Therefore, HKT, Hutchinson or Smartone SHOULD all work.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 15 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

As far as I know there are only three providers in mainland China and those you mention are not them, most likely Hong Kong based and not viable options. 

Message 16 of 16