cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of Phone Connectivity

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have an on going problem where my phone will simply stop receiving calls and text messages. According to the phone display I have a connection to o2 as I have both a full set of bars and it says "02-UK" on the display.

If I simply reboot my phone it is fixed for anything from a week to a month.

This issue started around 18 months ago with my Sony Xperia M which i got through Carphone Warehouse and was told it was a phone issue and would need to be sent off for repair, as I could not do without my phone I decided to live with it despite my increased annoyance. 

Recently my contract was upgraded and I now have a new phone (Samsung S5) which also came with a new Sim card, my joy at no longer having the issue were short lived as it has already developed the same issue in less than a month.

I've been online with an O2 guru who is sending me out another new phone as I'm still in the cooling off period however I cannot see this being a solution but more of an "i don't know and this will get rid of you" answer.

i.e. how can two completely different phones from different manufacturers with different sim cards in have the exact same fault.

The only things which have remained are my phone number, the phone operator and the fact both are Android phones.

so surely it's either: -

1 - An issue with my number being able to log onto the network properly

2 - An issue with Android and connectivity in general

Any thoughts?

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93235 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions

It could be mast congestion or a network fault. Check here

http://status.o2.co.uk

I would also nip into your O2 store and get the sim changed. There was a batch of faulty ones.

Message 2 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply

The guru checked the mast near me now and it was working fine, and my wife who is also on O2 never has this issue though she has an iPhone.

I'll try the new phone, it certainly does seem a strange one...

I'll check the SIM too, though I would be unlucky to have two faulty SIM cards

Message 3 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Have you used the status checker

http://www.o2.co.uk/coveragechecker
Message 4 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have 4G turned on, turn it off to see if the issue continues.

you could try putting your wifes sim in your phone and your sim in your wifes phone to see if it still happens?

Message 5 of 18

MI5
  • 144356 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
I have heard of this before and I think it was an account problem.
You could ask cs to re-provision your account.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

That one sounds more plausable due to different phones and sim cards.

I'll call them tomorrow and send the replacement phone back.

Message 7 of 18

MI5
  • 144356 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
Be sure to let us know so we can remember for next time please slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Made the mistake of talking to an O2 guru this morning who told me he had permenantly fixed my issue because he talked me through rebooting my phone. The same solution I told him I'd been doing for 18 months as a temporary fix. Crazy

Message 9 of 18

MI5
  • 144356 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
A Guru, you say........?

Currently using:
Message 10 of 18