cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lollipop for the Galaxy S4

Anonymous
Not applicable

does anyone know when O2 are planning to release Lollipop for the Galaxy S4?

I've seen it running on an S4 of a friends already (albeit an early build)and it's very impressive when compared to KitKat but I, for obvious reasons, don't want to obtain it via unoffical channels.

Message 1 of 39
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

With Android being the beauty that is open-source software, there are often unofficial and experimental ROM's floating around that may give users the chance to update to brand new versions before official release. I won't go into detail but this can be dangerous, often needing to mess around with bootloaders and it will most certainly void your warranty in most cases.

So I totally understand why you prefer to stick with official updates. I have no info on the S4 receiving Lollipop - I'm sure it will happen given it's an ex-flagship device, but we don't yet have any dates or schedules.

Once we receive software from Samsung for testing, this usually takes a few days up to a few weeks for us to fully test and approve it. At this stage, it's sent back to Samsung and we usually expect it to release to customers within 1-2 weeks.

As soon as I hear anything official, i'll let everyone know.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 39
38 REPLIES 38

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

It won't be until Samsung officially release it for testing and then after O2 have approved it so it could be a few months yet.

@Chris_K is the O2 man in the know wink

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Chris_K from social media releases info when available in new devices and firmware rollouts.
Message 3 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Chris_K is the one you need. 

The firmware you saw would have been development and quite buggy.

Samsung not looking at releasing it until Q1 next year so I wouldn't get your hopes up until at least June onwards

Message 4 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks guys, to be fair the version that my friend had was pretty stable. I was only messing around with it fr half an hour or so and I didn't come across any issues at all. He had been using it for a while and said that bug-wise it was very useable and had no major ones.

I'll look forward to getting it in the new year (at some point)...although my upgrade is due in Sept anyway so I probably won't get to benefit from it for long on the S4

Message 5 of 39

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
What your friend had may have been AOSP
Message 6 of 39

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

With Android being the beauty that is open-source software, there are often unofficial and experimental ROM's floating around that may give users the chance to update to brand new versions before official release. I won't go into detail but this can be dangerous, often needing to mess around with bootloaders and it will most certainly void your warranty in most cases.

So I totally understand why you prefer to stick with official updates. I have no info on the S4 receiving Lollipop - I'm sure it will happen given it's an ex-flagship device, but we don't yet have any dates or schedules.

Once we receive software from Samsung for testing, this usually takes a few days up to a few weeks for us to fully test and approve it. At this stage, it's sent back to Samsung and we usually expect it to release to customers within 1-2 weeks.

As soon as I hear anything official, i'll let everyone know.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 7 of 39

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks Chris, I've actually done it myself before in the past whilst I was on Vodafone with a previous Galaxy phone of mine when I wanted to upgrade to Jelly Bean (as Ice Cream Sandwich had become very unstable and laggy for some reason). I used one of the techy websites to download the files and programs needed and it worked very well and was quite easy to do, I only did so (knowing that it would void my warranty) as I was nearly at the end of my contract anyway so I didn't care....I won't be doing so now as I've got another 9 months left on this one.

Of course I wouldn't recommend that anybody do so unless they're capable of aware of the potential pitfalls.

As stated, hopefully we get to see the new OS for S4's soon

Message 9 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

Has anyone heard anything about the lollipop update on the S4?

Message 10 of 39