Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lollipop for my Note 3

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122893 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Ok guys...that time I have been dreading is here. Those of you who know me at all...will get my drift. Jaw-dropping

Over the months I have been reading all the posts about peoples experiences with Lollipop. ...I have been quite comfortable thinking not me...thank god it hasn't got to me yet. "If it ain't broke don't fix it' is my motto

So I will set the scene. I am in Spain on holiday with the family. I charge my lovely Note 3 last night and when I get up this morning there is the icon I have been dreading...I click on it very very gently (I would hate anything untoward to happen if my finger slipped you see) LOL

I read this awful sentence

Update package downloaded. Install now? (and THAT word....LOLLIPOP)

I exit very carefully, close my phone...put it on the table and there it has remained untouched......

No biggie to you lot. Me?...I feel I have a ticking time bomb awaiting....Fear

LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 49
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
  • 144288 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
So, at last, eh ? slight_smile
You need to either do this on your laptop whilst away, or wait till you get home, but, you must install Smartswitch http://www.samsung.com/uk/smart-switch/ and make a COMPLETE backup of your phone.
Smartswitch will, if you tick all the boxes, save everything exactly as your phone is now.
Once you have done the backup, install the update and leave it to do it's thing.
Once complete, use it as normal.
One of 2 things will happen next. If it behaves exactly as normal (except for some new and different options) just carry on as if nothing ever happened.
If, however, it plays up, lags, stutters, force closes and generally behaves like a brat, do a factory reset from recovery (Vol Up + Power).
After the reset, plug back into Smartswitch and restore your backup - Simples slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 49
48 REPLIES 48

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23059 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

You don't have to install it just because it's there, but it won't go away, so you may as well. Your Note 3 knows what to do. It won't break. Millions have installed it without problems. Back everything up, and take the plunge. Good luck.:smileyhappy:

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 49

Cleoriff
  • 122893 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

I know I have made a big thing about installing this update @Bambino but not sure I want to take the risk while I am in Spain....with limited access to stuff etc. ..

I realise it won't go away.....(I have opened the phone 4 times and yes still there...LOL)..It is honestly going to have to wait...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 49

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23059 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

It's entirely up to you @Cleoriff No one is pushing you. I know you're uneasy about changing things on your phone. You're probably right to wait until you return to the UK where you have others to back you up. 

I let the Lollipop 5.1 update sit for a long time on my Nexus 5 because I knew there were issues with it. I waitied until 5.1.1 was released and then did the update. It installed 5.1 and 5.1.1 popped up straight away and installed with no problem.

The update will just wait until you're ready to install it. Phones are much more patient than people.:smileywink:

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 49

MI5
  • 144288 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
So, at last, eh ? slight_smile
You need to either do this on your laptop whilst away, or wait till you get home, but, you must install Smartswitch http://www.samsung.com/uk/smart-switch/ and make a COMPLETE backup of your phone.
Smartswitch will, if you tick all the boxes, save everything exactly as your phone is now.
Once you have done the backup, install the update and leave it to do it's thing.
Once complete, use it as normal.
One of 2 things will happen next. If it behaves exactly as normal (except for some new and different options) just carry on as if nothing ever happened.
If, however, it plays up, lags, stutters, force closes and generally behaves like a brat, do a factory reset from recovery (Vol Up + Power).
After the reset, plug back into Smartswitch and restore your backup - Simples slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 49

jonsie
  • 93214 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6969 Solutions

I got the update 1 week into a 3 month break and I was determined not to install until I was back in the UK. I lasted 3 weeks of this annoying pop up and eventually I had a spare Sunday where my other half was going to see her family.

I had all sorts of scenarios going through my head bearing in mind my S3 was as good as bricked when installing the much maligned 4.3 update under similar circumstances.

On my 4th beer in the bar and inhibition at it's weakest point and bravado at it's strongest my finger hovered over the install button. 'Don't do it' said the sensible inner voice but it was shouted down by the now dominant 'go for it wimp' repetitive alcohol fuelled bully in my head.

In a moment of pure , sod it I don't give a damn' i did the dreaded deed...eek, too late now, time for a **bleep** and another beer...or two!!

Result....installed no problem but I'm ready to do the factory reset and download all the missing apps and resign into everything and waste the rest of a gorgeous day. But no, no problems whatsoever and no factory reset needed. Phone ok but can't say I noticed any big difference apart fro menu options. All apps worked great just the same and no factory reset needed.

The biggest plus for me was improved battery life and the whole experience was in stark contrast to the S3.

I would hate to try and convince you to do it now, with only 11 days or so before you are back in the UK, personally I would wait but don't be worried at all.

Message 6 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable

My friend with a Note 3 is doing exactly the same, she's had that notification there for a month or so now and just can't bring herself to do it.

Message 7 of 49

Cleoriff
  • 122893 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

I see our lovely Veteran @MI5 concluded that info with one word...."Simples"....yeah RIGHT!! LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 49

Cleoriff
  • 122893 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

So here you go...first question. Do I download Smartswitch to my Note 3...or laptop?

(and I have to tell you now..... I thought I already had it on my phone...till I looked and thats Smart Network Switch) LOL

A good start hey?........Bouncy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 49

jonsie
  • 93214 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6969 Solutions