Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lollipop for S5, now live!

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Lollipop, lollipop, where for art thou lollipop?

I am here, says Lollipop while standing atop a shiny Samsung Galaxy S5!

Okay enough of the ye olde talk – Lollipop means business. If you thought Jellybean was buttery smooth, then you’ve not seen what Lollipop can do. This is a major platform update and isn’t just a collection of minor bug fixes or anything like that… This is a full blown update – new eye candy, new & fresh menus, new features – all while keeping the system running smooth & fluid while keeping your battery life in check too. You can find out here what Lollipop can do > http://www.android.com/versions/lollipop-5-0/

The update is now live via KIES and should be live via OTA update towards the end of the week, so go grab it now and let us know your thoughts on the new update

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 218
217 REPLIES 217

athgen1
  • 63 Posts
  • 19 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

VinceH73

Could it be just a poorly written app causing the problem i.e not updated to Lollipop?

Message 91 of 218

Anonymous
Not applicable

Athgen1,

That would seem to be the suggestion, tough going to take an age to work out what app is causing it.

Message 92 of 218

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you haven't upgraded yet .... DONT !!!!!

I have and it isnt good, been using few days and wish i had read all the posts before doing so.

First thing in morning phone is mega slow, have to reboot.

Its like its gone into deep sleep and dont really want to wake fast at all

Its version 5 not the better versions which came out after

It has bluetooth bugs , no mute, notification choices in later versions is missing, and battery drain

May have to sell this now, as it frustrates me loads.....

I prey to god that the OTA update when it goes live is a higher version

If it isnt there are going to be alot of angry people

Message 93 of 218

swebby
Level 3: Thinker
  • 88 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi tim_costello

I can undestand your upset, as I'm disappointed at how slow and laggy my Nexus 7 2012 is after official Google OTA update to 5.02, but I've read that others haven't experienced any problems.

I am VERY PLEASED with my Galaxy S5 after Kies update to 5.0, but others are not, like you.

My point is, for some the upgrade works perfectly and for others it doesn't.  

You say "If you haven't upgraded yet.....DONT  !!!!!!"

That's good advice for those that WILL be affected, but bad advise for those that WON'T.

The big question is how can anybody tell beforehand?

If we all wait for others to take the plunge, nobody will and we'll all stand still!!!!!!

S8+, Galaxy Tab S 8.4, Chromebook.
Message 94 of 218

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

There are many people who would prefer to wait till others try and see what the comments are before they update. Also there is a hope that any bugs will be ironed out...

Though @swebby  I fully understand what you are saying...if everyone waits.... then who will know anything?

If everyone posts their experiences on here then the developers will get a good balanced view of what the problems are....:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 95 of 218

Anonymous
Not applicable
Great just got another bug

Tried to install an app and i get error 505 in play store... seems this is a know bug in version 5.0 and it only fixed 5.0.1 ... great

That means i cant even install apps i want
Message 96 of 218

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

For those getting battery drain, I think I may have found the problem!!!

I'm pretty sure the location was turned off on the notification panel, however when I've gone in via the settings menu, the Location was turned on!!

Since turning location off via the settings menu, the battery drain would seem to have stopped.  Before doing this I did do a factory reset, but the battery drain seemed to prevail and not until I turned location off has it seemed to have settled down.

Will report back either way.

Message 98 of 218

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think @Anonymous gave good advice.  Perhaps some of the reasons he gave may not apply to all, but I for one really regret upgrading.  (By the way, Tim, the OTA came out a few days ago.)

Firstly, people are reporting performance issues, from lag and battery drain to features and applications not working.  Why would you want to play Russian Roulette with your phone?  I know I did, and I don't think I got the issues people describe, but still.  Some (Americans?) are reporting issues connecting to their networks and/or wi-fi.  

Sadly, I haven't found a single improvement or new feature that I like.  I was really looking forward to the flashlight option, since my current torch app is getting rather permission-hungry and frequently updates, for the worse.  So... where is it?!  It's certainly not on the drop-down menu - with one finger or two.

Yes, silent mode is gone - along with the ability to set your phone to vibrate or totally silent via the power button (or anywhere).  Disgraceful.  No, the replacement is NOT an acceptable alternative.

For me, the worst thing is that they seem to want to make our phones look like iPhones.  WHY ON EARTH did Google think that white was a good background colour for the settings, gallery, notifications, texts etc?  And why aren't they consistent?  I have folders in my Applications screen - they still have nice, dark blue backgrounds.  I know blue is allegedly the most power-hungry pixel colour, but even a grey/dark blue background is surely better for battery life than bright white?  Not only that, the colour scheme for texts is HORRIBLE.  Some notifications, such as eBay, are still dark, whereas others are white.  It looks stupid.

If you haven't updated, here's what you're facing:

newtext.jpg

Another issue for me is that everything is smaller.  The default text is slightly smaller, the icons are smaller (and now round by default - again, probably using a bit more battery to create a template for that) and that trash can button is smaller.  I have issues with my eyesight - yes, you can make fonts larger, but that's not the point.  Google shouldn't be cramming more on the screen - have some thought for those with disabilities.  On a similar vein, the fingerprint guide is now gone if you use the fingerprint lock - replaced with an annoying, tiny flashing arrow.  The old system actually helped you align your finger (great if you have perception or co-ordination issues).

An app I was happily using yesterday (ScummVM) no longer works.  This appears to have been reported to the developers months ago, who obviously haven't fixed it.

There really isn't anything good about it.  Profiles are useless to me - I don't want other people using my phone.  I will NEVER get a smart watch - what a pointless device, so integration is no good to me.  I don't want all my content synced across multiple devices - not that I have another Android, so the "pick up where you left off" feature is left unused here.  Twitter now looks horrible, I don't want Samsung's Smart Remote loading on startup (I have a Samsung TV and NEVER USE IT - pointless) and My Magazine is still running (although not on the left hand side any more) despite me disabling it!

As for the 5.0 argument, the later releases aren't THAT much different - mostly bug fixes.  I do agree, though, that at least 5.0.1 (entirely bug fixes, including a fairly serious issue that could see your phone wiped) should have been used by O2.  

I am fast losing my faith in Google with what they're doing to Android.  I didn't agree with mass-grouping notifications - they should be LESS grouped to avoid potential issues.  I couldn't stand Google+ ever - and was very unhappy when it got forced upon us and integrated into Android.  I refuse to rate apps or anything on Google now as a result.  I never agreed with Google Now and still refuse to install it - it sounds like a huge battery drain that spies on you and creepily gives you information before you ask for it.  I absolutely HATE that Google Search asks me to install it EVERY SINGLE TIME it is opened.  Ridiculous.  And I refuse to leave location services on, despite Google insisting that I really should and refusing to let me use some apps now (that worked perfectly fine before) without them.  No weather updates without location services DESPITE the fact that you KNOW what town I want weather for as it's written on-screen?  Absurd.  I detested the "improvements" they made to Gmail making everything icon-based, now they've made the icon look like it was designed for Fisher Price.

Message 99 of 218

Anonymous
Not applicable
An update on my experience. ...

Things went from bad to worse.... so i had to do a backup with kies then do a full wipe and factory reset....

I let phone rebuild and restore under its own steam not used kies to restore

(Kept kies backup just in case)

And slowly but surely added back all my settings etc..... and to my amazement the phone is buttery smooth and fast... its like a completely different phone... im shocked becuase i read alot of people saying that a wipe made no change.

The only problem i still have is a few apps wont install and i still get error 505... this i read is caused by left over certificates from previous installs and reinstalling the certificate causes an error and prevents app being installed... the apps that are doing it i can live without

I did try to use ADB and find files the developer way but i couldnt find and have given up for now... this problem was fixed in lollipop 5.0.1

So if you do have slow phone after update. Backup with kies and do full factory wipe and let it restore slowly on its own... dont use kies to restore becuase this may not give same result as i got

All the things @Anonymous said i agree with and the cr'apple look i also hate...

I must say that my s5 is now faster with 5.0 but features and settings gripes are anoying still.....

Will keep updated on my experience with this......
Message 100 of 218