cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lollipop for HTC One 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Guys,

Any word on delivery of the Lollipop update for the HTC One M8.

I see that HTC have issued OTA for their unlocked M8s tonight.

Cheers

Message 1 of 46
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
@Chris_K is the o2 staff member who can advise on plans for release and he regularly updated on here.

This is the reason I think networks should not lock phones, then the software releases can come direct from the manufacturer, less risk of software failures and quicker rollout.

Nice phone by the way.

There are benefits to network updates, and sometimes we're even able to get ours out before the open market version - not often, but it does happen and it's great when it does. Sometimes during our testing we discover bugs/issues that didn't turn up during the vendor tests, sometimes we discover issues with the software in terms of performance on our network - we can work with vendors to sort those. Those are just a couple of benefits but I do understand that to many, this won't matter - just wanted to add a view from 'the other side' 🙂

Anyways... Lollipop on HTC One M8. It's happening! We're hoping to receive the update next week - and hopefully earlier in the week rather than later. We'll get our testing & approvals done as quickly as possible (ensuring our strict testing is fully complete and passes) and release back to HTC for launch. All being said, you could be looking at release this month.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 46
45 REPLIES 45

browni
Level 21: Regular
  • 2241 Posts
  • 35 Topics
  • 10 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Guys,

Cheers

@Chris_K  is the man in the know!

By tagging him above hopefully he will respond to this thread.

#siwy
Message 2 of 46

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Guys,

Cheers

The latest info we have was posted here early December. @Chris_K  felt it would be in the New Year

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Android-Devices-Samsung-HTC-Sony/Lollipop-and-the-M8/m-p/825718#M40634

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 46

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Guys,

Cheers

If past performance is anything to go by, I would think it will still be a while before O2 release the update. As you have said,  it's only just been released for unlocked M8's. If your phone is O2 branded, O2 would have to run tests to make sure the software is compatible with whatever they load onto their branded phones. I believe O2 has released it for their Galaxy S5 phones, so maybe it won't take as long as it's done previously.

To be honest, I wouldn't be in all that much of a rush. The OS is still a little buggy. You can find lots of instances of articles about it if you Google it. Personally, I always think it's better to wait a while until the initial kinks are ironed out.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 46

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Chris_K is the o2 staff member who can advise on plans for release and he regularly updated on here.

This is the reason I think networks should not lock phones, then the software releases can come direct from the manufacturer, less risk of software failures and quicker rollout.

Nice phone by the way.
Message 5 of 46

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Nice phone by the way.

There are benefits to network updates, and sometimes we're even able to get ours out before the open market version - not often, but it does happen and it's great when it does. Sometimes during our testing we discover bugs/issues that didn't turn up during the vendor tests, sometimes we discover issues with the software in terms of performance on our network - we can work with vendors to sort those. Those are just a couple of benefits but I do understand that to many, this won't matter - just wanted to add a view from 'the other side' 🙂

Anyways... Lollipop on HTC One M8. It's happening! We're hoping to receive the update next week - and hopefully earlier in the week rather than later. We'll get our testing & approvals done as quickly as possible (ensuring our strict testing is fully complete and passes) and release back to HTC for launch. All being said, you could be looking at release this month.

Message 6 of 46

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Pleased I got that right at least Chris K...  Your last update on this indicated it would be the New Year...and so it is wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 46

Anonymous
Not applicable

And possibly this week (?):think_smiley_09:

Message 8 of 46

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

And possibly this week (?):think_smiley_09:

You can live in hope @Anonymous  Best of luck..(End of the month falls this week after all) wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 46

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Hi all, this began rolling out OTA just an hour or two ago so for anyone who hasn't yet updated, now's the time! 😉

Message 10 of 46