cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG V10 - What do we reckon?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm heading towards my contract renewal date at the end of the year and so am looking around at my options - mainly because I am desperate to get onto Android following my Windows Phone experiment (For info the 1520 is a brilliant piece of kit and WP is, in my opinion, the nippiest OS I've used but the poor app selection and lack of flexibility have caused me to call it a day.)

So, option 1 was the Nexus 6P (I like a phablet) but I'm not impressed with O2's pricing and the 32GB only option (I'm also a hoarder). That has pushed the upcoming Sony Xperia Z5 Premium to the top of the list but again I have a few doubts - although these are mostly cosmetic and based around the phones overall blinginess.

The phone I really like the look of is the LG V10 as it seems to tick all the boxes for me except for one - No mention of if it's coming to the UK, if it is when, and if it may make it to O2 - There's a 800Mhz variant so I'm hopeful.

What do the all knowing types on here think? Any rumours it may make it's way to O2? What do people think to the phone in general - The second screen seems a bit of a gimmick and the 808 may seem old fashioned but I think the price may be reasonable and the G4 still looks like a decent phone. 

I also wonder whether a merger with 3 will open up a wider selection of devices and allow the likes of Huawei onto the shelves?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm also edging towards the Z5 Premium but waiting for details to emerge regarding its battery life.

The LG V10 looks to be an amazing handset but according to GSM Arena it has a terrible battery.....maybe with Marshmallow on it, it may possibly be ok,.

Message 2 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good thread @TheSlyFox!

For what I can see on reviews it's a rather large phone (5.4 LCD). I quite like the secondary screen at the top, though (gives it an interactive touch) but that seems to be the issue that runs out the battery life more quickly Grumpy

Quite a premium feel to it. What are you most interested about when you choose a phone? camera, battery life? look and feel?

Message 3 of 16

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

Three aren't even stocking either of the new Nexus phones, so even if the merger was imminent I wouldn't count on that.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 16

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12056 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions

The Z5, G4 and V10 are all phones that I have looked at (although my renewal date is even later than yours in March) as potential upgrades.

Reading reviews of the G4 and Z5, both have good and bad points:

• the G4 doesn't have the processing power of other flagship handsets (due to using the 808 rather then 810, along with graphic chips being different), but the camera and screen are supposed to be excellent. It also has expandable memory (rare) and a removable battery (rarer still).
  • the Z5 has more "bang for your buck" in terms of processors, and also has an SD card slot. It also has an (Android) leading camera in terms of megapixels. But the screen is 1080, and can be a little off in terms of colouring. Worries also exist over how Sony have avoided the heating problems associated with the 810 - have they used the newer version, got extra cooling involved or throttled it's power?
  • the V10 is also a strange one. The extra screen is a gimmick, but one that could be very useful - still being able to see notifications while in full screen apps, or have short cuts to other apps while in another. It also pushes the boundaries in terms of control over the camera (same as G4) but extends this control into film modes. Whether it can do that at the top end of recording (hello 4k!) is a question that I've not seen answered yet.

Another option to consider is the 128gb version of the S6 / Edge - should provide more storage than required (unless you intend to use the 4k recording option a lot) but also in a very well rounded package (screen, camera, phone specs).

Or there is the Motorola Moto X Force (UK version of the Doird Turbo 2) with a supposedly unbreakable screen or the Moto X Play which is a very slightly lower spec version (same camera, almost identical battery, lower res screen, lower speed processor, slightly less RAM).

All in all, some widely different handsets with very different selling points!!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 5 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks slight_smile and cheers for your thoughts.

To be honest I tend to look at the whole package, however if I were to prioritise it would be :

1) Screen size (5.5" is probably a minimum for me)

2) Battery life. (I've probably been spoilt by the exceptional battery on my Lumia 1520 but I expect no less than 20% by bedtime).

3) Speed and RAM. (Something that purrs rather than chugs)

4) OS path (What's the manufacturers history with updates, how supported is this on XDA)

5) Look & Feel (I've got to like it)

6) Fingerprint Scanner (Not a deal breaker but useful for unlocking a big screened phone with one hand and later for payment)

7) Camera (Mustn't suck but I've learnt over time that the camera on my phone usually exceeds my skill as a photographer)

😎 The rest (USB-C isn't a must at the moment, bad skins can be skinned over, spending my 20s as a DJ means that audio just needs to be loud)

The second screen on the V10 is something I'm not writing off yet. Again my lumia is very good at showing info (time, etc) without lighting up the whole screen and I see the V10 as being a similar idea. Also could be useful to see notifications without disturbing my flow elsewhere.

Message 6 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Z5 Premium through Carphone - Unlimited Mins & Texts plus 3GB data - Just £36.00 a month with £50 one-ff upfront cost..........BARGAIN!!!

Message 7 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

The X Force looks like an interesting option, assuming O2 carry it. It's a shame it doesn't have a fingerprint scanner - especially as Moto's have the ideal place to put one on the back, but that isn't necessarily a deal breaker and the shatter proof screen means I don't need to um and aah about my case selection.

I've considered the s6/edge but I'm thinking they're a little smaller than I want and the S6 edge is a bit off putting pricewise and, I have to admit, I still haven't decided if I like the edge style. All that said, they are damned good phones and I'm probably missing an obvious candidate.

Message 8 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Z5 Premium through Carphone - Unlimited Mins & Texts plus 3GB data - Just £36.00 a month with £50 one-ff upfront cost..........BARGAIN!!!

Yes...sounds good...though it would be a 24 mth contract and not Refresh?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes...sounds good...though it would be a 24 mth contract and not Refresh?

Thats correct but still......!!

Message 10 of 16