cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG V10 - What do we reckon?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm heading towards my contract renewal date at the end of the year and so am looking around at my options - mainly because I am desperate to get onto Android following my Windows Phone experiment (For info the 1520 is a brilliant piece of kit and WP is, in my opinion, the nippiest OS I've used but the poor app selection and lack of flexibility have caused me to call it a day.)

So, option 1 was the Nexus 6P (I like a phablet) but I'm not impressed with O2's pricing and the 32GB only option (I'm also a hoarder). That has pushed the upcoming Sony Xperia Z5 Premium to the top of the list but again I have a few doubts - although these are mostly cosmetic and based around the phones overall blinginess.

The phone I really like the look of is the LG V10 as it seems to tick all the boxes for me except for one - No mention of if it's coming to the UK, if it is when, and if it may make it to O2 - There's a 800Mhz variant so I'm hopeful.

What do the all knowing types on here think? Any rumours it may make it's way to O2? What do people think to the phone in general - The second screen seems a bit of a gimmick and the 808 may seem old fashioned but I think the price may be reasonable and the G4 still looks like a decent phone. 

I also wonder whether a merger with 3 will open up a wider selection of devices and allow the likes of Huawei onto the shelves?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree, I actually went into Carphone to have a fondle of the Premium as they don't have them in O2 stores yet. Funnily enough I don't know how struck I am on them looks wise, the bling makes them look and feel a little cheap to me but I've always liked the Z series in black so that would be my choice.

However, for me, it's all about the refresh with O2 and I don't know if I could leave that behind.

Message 11 of 16

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions

@gmarkj wrote:

• But the screen is 1080, and can be a little off in terms of colouring. Worries also exist over how Sony have avoided the heating problems associated with the 810 - have they used the newer version, got extra cooling involved or throttled it's power?

Z5 premium is 4k screen for the applications that need it. Also I've never heard of any "worries" over the Z5's 810 not overheating. Since early into the Z3+ life cycle,  Sony has used revision 2.1 of the 810 and slightly throttled it to remain cool, on the tablet Z4 they used the same cpu revision without as much throttle and on the Z5 they have used dual copper liquid cooling pipes to keep it cool.

tPqZrRLJxoVT2N6m.jpg

Message 12 of 16

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12061 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions

@viridis wrote:

@gmarkj wrote:

• But the screen is 1080, and can be a little off in terms of colouring. Worries also exist over how Sony have avoided the heating problems associated with the 810 - have they used the newer version, got extra cooling involved or throttled it's power?

Z5 premium is 4k screen for the applications that need it. Also I've never heard of any "worries" over the Z5's 810 not overheating. Since early into the Z3+ life cycle,  Sony has used revision 2.1 of the 810 and slightly throttled it to remain cool, on the tablet Z4 they used the same cpu revision without as much throttle and on the Z5 they have used dual copper liquid cooling pipes to keep it cool.

True, and my fault for noticing the reference to the premium version in the original post.

Is the quoted speed the theoretical max for the SoC, or the throttled speed?

It does look like Sony are doing as much as they can to keep it working without burning someone's hand off!!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 13 of 16

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
I would "assume" that the quoted speeds are the maximum the device can reach, even if throttled.
They won't slow down the overall max cpu speed, instead change parameters that will trigger a slower speed, such as temperature, work load, battery drain etc etc.
The quoted speeds must be reachable or it is open to "not as advertised" claims at any point post sale.
Message 14 of 16

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

My last upgrade was based on 3 choices a Sony Z5, Samsung S6 Edge or LG G4. In the end I went with the LG G4 as more processing power is pretty pointless if you have a have a load of bloatware to contend with. The G4 has very little and most of it is optional and even the O2 sofware allows removal of the preinstalled stuff.

My only disappointment was not getting an international ROM as this means quicker and access to official updates.

The screen clarity is really good with the 2K resolution, fonts are well defined and transitions are smooth. I haven't really tried the camera functions as such however what I have is good. Even with a 5.5" screen it still feels like a dwarved tablet screen when watching movies so I wouldn't recommend it for that as such.

I might read some of the LG G4 reviews to see what others think.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 15 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Get a Samsung Galaxy Note 4' Galaxy A5 or the S6 Edge as they are pretty impressive 

heres my review of the Samsung Galaxy A5

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Android-Devices-Samsung-HTC-Sony/My-Samsung-Galaxy-A5-Review/td-p/9129...

Message 16 of 16